s i e r r a l y n n

Old, but I'm not that old

Young, but I'm not that bold

And I don't think the world is sold

On just doing what we're told

Counting Stars - OneRepublic

The American dream, after all, ended up being yet another glittery lie served straight out of Hollywood's blinding lights.

There was no almighty glory in the town of Scarsdale, just rom-com worthy neighborhoods and a a few thousands of high class wealthy people.

New money...

Old money...

They all seem to agree that this is their slice of paradise, not too far away from the roots of their ruthless empires buried deep down in New York city, but not too close enough for their small bubble of intimacy to get burst so easily.

Or so had my father thought...

I sat on the terrace of my new room, feet dangling on the dangerous nothingness, just like my heart have been for the past few months, tripping between life and death, the existence and the void, walking on the thin ice between fake happiness and destructive depression.

The moon is high, sitting on its almighty throne in the middle of the inky night sky, but despite the darkness, the stars are barely visible because of the neighborhood's lights, which only makes my heart a little bit more, like every other change in my life. The night is cold, the chilly air sends small shivers through my skin, and I try to ignore it. The cold is better than nothing, the cold is better than suffocating between four walls.

For a split second, I wonder, how would it feel like to fall from here? To be swallowed by the emptiness of space and just feel the freedom of having no escape, of just feeling the freedom we all seek during someone's last minutes in life. Not that I would ever know it, I like my life enough to try and see how it will turn out to be like.

When I was a little girl, papa used to tell me that all humans were made of stardust, that's why we all shine so bright. I believe that he's right, for a whole different reason.

We are made of stardust, yes, but the brightness in us is just the result of burning constantly, like the bright tiny jewels blinking in the darkest nights.

I cuddled further against the daisy-printed fluffy blanket,small footsteps padded against the floor, getting closer all the way to me. My eight years old little sister sat beside me, leaning against my shoulder, cocooned in a fuzzy blue blanket.

"Trouble sleeping?" I ask softly, drawing her closely to my side.

"I miss mamà." She said, and my mood soured "You?" She peaked up at me, the darkness veiling her pretty face.

"Timezone change..." I shrugged, trying to plaster on a smile.

And not make her worry, too...

"Yeah, we're basically time travelers..." She snorts, finding humor in us crossing an entire ocean just like that.

I wish I could do that too...

I didn't answer, watching up the sky, trying to soak in the marvelous view, for the future memories I hoped to keep. River leaned her head on my lap, laying on the cold floor. My fingers threaded into her soft short dark hair, running down it's silkiness.

And to the stars; I wished...

_______________________________________

November, 1 st...

Dearest stars,

Keep my wishes safe, I'll come back someday and take them away...

_______________________________________