s i e r r a l y n n

And we kept everything professional

But something's changed, it's somethin' I, I like

They keep watchful eyes on us

So it's best that we move fast and keep quiet

I can see you (Taylor's version)- Taylor Swift

"Ray, I'm feeling ridiculous." I swallow, my fingers finding my mouth in a nervous quirk as we stand in front of Noah's front door. I feel odd, exposed even, with the bottle green spaghetti straps dress that does nearly nothing to hide my cleavage and the skin of my shoulders, a birthday gift Ray bought for me last year. It's not that I don't like it, only that I'm not used to wearing such things. Even when I saw my reflection in the mirror a few minutes ago, I had this weird rush of satisfaction. I had the impression that for the first time, I looked somehow desirable.

I had left River at home, only a few steps away, after making her promise to call when Serafina or papa comes home, or whenever she grows uncomfortable from staying home alone, which will probably not happen since she loves having the house all to herself.

Ray sighs and smiles gently at me "Sia. Relax, you look breathtaking, trust me on this." She grabs my shoulder gently. And I nod hesitantly before taking a deep breath. I straighten my shoulders and swallow back. Sometimes, I wish I had Ray's confidence, to handle myself like I own every room I walk in, to be the queen in the chess board, but unfortunately, I never had the courage to do so. I remain the bishop in every and all situations, from school to home, from friendships to rivalry.

When we walk in, the smell of alcohol makes my stomach churn and the loud music nearly splits my ears open. 'Teenage life' my ass, I'd rather rot in my bed with my headphones on and a cute little romance book in my hand. Is this what Serafina used to do back in the day? When she would disappear for the night, leaving Papa, River and I a mess of worry and dread, both for and of her.

Esmeray, however, looks perfectly in her element, colorful lights, spilled drinks, high heels, lipstick coated smiles and hushed whispers. I feel like I'm in a new world of things I have never experienced, one I never wanted to dive in. I follow her like a lost puppy, trying my best not to seem bothered at the long curious glances and the exchanged words about me, or at how everyone is holding a drink in their hand as she jumped from a friend group to another, where everyone shot me smiles that are so fake that even I notice it. Like I'm a lamb in a lion's den.

"Sera, please. Stop this madness, Sweetheart." Papa's voice pleaded, I could catch a glimpse of him from my hiding spot, my eyes were blurry with tears as I watched mamà stumble drunkenly at the front door.