CHAPTER 29

FREEN

After that moment of me scolding Becky, the rest of the trip was way more serene than how we started. Well, at least that's how it looked to everyone else and to him, but Richie and I know that Becky is upset, and her level of hurting is much different than how it usually is.

Richie and I have dealt with her way more than enough to know how to sooth her and her tantrums depending on her level of anger or pain, but this one is the kind that we have never seen or encountered before. On the outside point of view, she looks like a fine young woman with good manners who is having fun with her older siblings, but inside is turmoil that is boiling and burning.

"How about we ride the Ferris wheel for our last ride?" he suggested to all of us, and the rest of us agreed, even Becky, who was actually showing a smile. A smile that I know is nothing but a show of face, and that smile is like a knife stabbing me in the chest.

"The four of us can go in one cart, right?" he asked innocently. "Four people can fit, but I think it's better that we go separately" Becky answered him, which surprised the rest of us because this would be the first time that she has directly talked to him "It's ok, I think it would be much more fun if we all go together" he said, genuinely enjoying the progress he thinks he made with Becky.

"No, it's ok" Becky turned him down "It's bad enough that we intruded with your date; you and P'Freen should have some time together" was the last thing she said before pulling Richie with her and starting to head towards the Ferris wheel.

I can never get used to her calling me that way, if anything, it simply hurts more. The more she calls me that way, the more pain I'm feeling. Yet, it's not like I can complain; I did bring it on myself. I know that I hurt her by scolding her, but I honestly thought that it was the right thing to do. The relationship between Becky and me has always been good making this change of her attitude towards me feel very foreign and hurtful. It's like in a blink of an eye, Becky felt so far away.

"Freen?" he called to me, making me snap out of my inner thoughts. I forced myself to look away from the now distant Becky and to him, who was waiting right beside me with a concerned expression. "Is there a problem?" I don't know why, but that question just brought out my guilty conscience, which made me forcefully put a smile on my face "Nothing" I said to him "We should go too" I added, wanting to divert the attention and somehow spare myself of the numbing pain.

It took us a few minutes before all of us were able to ride on the Ferris wheel, Richie and Becky got on first and the two of us took the next one.

If I remember correctly, this ride only goes one round since it is big and is kind of slow. Though there might be a chance that it's no longer the case since it has been a while since the last time that I came here. 

There were only the two of us at that time. That time was such a breeze; time flew by and I can barely remember all the rides we took since she practically dragged me around back then, unlike now where she barely said anything, kept her distance with me and everything was super awkward that I couldn't wait for the day to be over and go home since I didn't know what to do.

"--een" I vaguely heard him say "Huh?" was my only response as I gave my attention to him and try to remember the conversation we were having (or did we even start talking since we took our seats?)

"Are you okay?" he asked, voice full of concern, which made me feel guilty for not being able to give the attention that I should be giving him. "Is something wrong?" he asked when I didn't answer his first question. "Nothing's wrong" I said as I shook my head "I just got a bit tired, that's all" I added as I quickly put a smile on my face. He was a bit hesitant at first but soon enough, the smile on his face came back and finally became relieved because of my answer.

"We did do quite a lot today, huh?" he gave an added support to my excuse, which I became grateful for.

"Today was really fun" he stated excitedly, and I gave the most sincere smile that I could muster in response. It's good that he was able to have fun today. Now I just have to find a way to make up with Becky after this.

It took me quite an effort to keep my attention to him for the rest of the ride but I'm glad I was able to because the moment we got down and I Becky, the guilt and the pain that were temporarily suppressed during the ride went back in one swoop and were somehow overwhelming.

Regrouping not far from the last ride, we finally decided to call it a night and were about to walk back towards the car when he suddenly invited all of us for dinner "I mean, the night's still young" he said "Don't you think having dinner together would be fun?" he added with a smile as he excitedly waited for our response, but before any one of us was able to say a word, Becky answered him fast "Dinner does seem enticing, but I think I should decline" she said without looking at anyone "I don't want to be a party pooper, but I spent quite a lot of energy today and am in need of a long rest" her answer was very respectful and had a very business-like tone.

_______________________________
Hi everyone!

Here's another chapter...