CHAPTER 5

BECKY

"I need to look my best today" I said to myself as I went through my closet to find the perfect clothes for today's dinner. Today is the scheduled dinner with Freen and her family. There seems to be an occasion, though I'm not really aware of what it is. It's probably something that has to do with work. Whenever they are celebrating something that I know nothing about, it usually has something to do with the business, so I learned to not ask and just wait.

Choosing a casual white knee-length dress, I went on to take a shower and finally get myself ready for the night. After taking a shower, I got myself to my vanity table and dolled myself up just enough to hopefully catch her attention.

Tonight is going to be memorable; it's the night that I'm finally going to confess to Freen how I feel. Just the thought of what might happen makes me feel so nervous but excited, and at the same time, my mouth has turned to a small smile unconsciously.

I was almost done when someone suddenly started knocking on my door. "Bec" I can hear Richie's voice from the other side. Normally, such a situation would irritate me, but my good mood couldn't possibly be ruined by him, no, I will not let him ruin my excellent mood today.

I braced myself as I went and opened the door. "What do you want, Richie?" I asked him as calmly as I am at the moment, but my neutral expression immediately turned into a smile the moment that I looked up and passed him, blessing my eyes with the beautiful view that is Freen. "Freen!" I called out to her happily, and she answered me with a smile that made me smile even more.

"Freen here is looking for you" Richie informed me, and immediately, my mind started thinking of all sorts of things and reasons as to why she's looking for me, maybe a little too much that I had to forcibly stop myself from over-imagining. "I'll take it from here, Rich" Freen said as she put her right hand on top of Richie's left shoulder, making him look in her direction. "We'll head down as soon as we're done" she assured him, and Richie responded with a nod before turning around to leave.

Once he was out of our sight, Freen entered my room and closed the door behind her. "What brought you here? I thought we were just going to meet at the restaurant." I asked her as I felt my happiness rise through the roof. Freen really is such a sweetheart. "Not that I'm complaining; I like it when you come to visit me" I added immediately, not wanting to cause any misunderstanding. "It's just that it has been a while since the last time that you came here, in my room, so I'm kind of surprised" Now I'm ranting, so I forcefully stopped myself.

"I actually came here because there's something that I want to tell you" Freen said as she stood by the door. "Tell me? I wonder what she wants to tell me" I thought to myself. "But maybe this is also a chance for me. I wouldn't have to wait till the end of dinner and just tell her now."

"That's such good timing" I told her, excited. "I also have something I wanted to tell you" I revealed. "I was going to wait until dinner ended, but now that you're here, I might as well tell you now" I informed her. "It's actually about tonight" Freen started. I can see that she's a little nervous and was fidgeting a little. "What is happening? This is the first time that I'm seeing her act this way"

"The reason for tonight's dinner" she started again. "It's something about work again, right?" I interjected. "Well..." she said, not looking directly to my eyes. "...you could say that" she continued. "What is it?" I asked, confused of what it is that she really wanted to say. "I should have told you about this a while back but I didn't know how to tell you" I can see the hesitance in her voice. "What is this? Is this a love confession? Does she really feel the same way that I do?" I was started to get all sorts of ideas in my mind that I felt my heart beat much faster than it ever did.

"Tonight is actually about me" she said. "My parents and I had a talk about this a while back, and they are the ones who suggested it" she started explaining. "I was actually quite hesitant, but I know that they only want what's best for me, so I agreed with them" she added, and it's only making me more confused. What exactly is it that she wanted to tell me?

"We are already done with all the procedures needed; everything's already prepared and ready" she kept on talking but I still don't have an idea of what it is that she's saying. "Tonight's dinner is actually for me, it's a send-off dinner for me"

Send-off, what did she mean? "What do you mean send-off, are you going somewhere?" I asked her. "I'm going abroad" she answered calmly, though I can tell that she's feeling guilty. "Are you going on a vacation?" I asked her, and she shook her head in response. "I'm going there to study" she told me, but I was not able to say anything. "I'm moving, and I'll be staying there until I get my degree" she explained as I continued to try to make sense of and understand what's happening.

So today's dinner is not actually a dinner for a new business deal or a successful project but a send-off party for Freen because she's about to leave and live abroad to study and get her degree. How long does college usually take? Four, five years; that just means that I won't be able to see her for at least four years, she's going to be so far away, somewhere that I won't be able to go. I feel ridiculous for thinking that she's going to be confessing to me. Well, I guess it still is a form of confession. Wait a minute, does that mean that everyone already knows about it except for me?

"Bec" I heard Freen call for me. "Does everyone know?" I asked as calmly as I can. "Yes" Freen answered after a moment of hesitation. "I already told everyone else" she said. "I also asked them not to tell you" she stated, and that triggered a lot of questions in my mind. "Why would she ask them not to tell me? Is it so that I'll never know? Am I not that important to know?"

"I wanted to be the one to tell you but every time we're together, you look so happy that I felt guilty thinking that I would ruin the fun and make you sad the moment I tell you" she explained. I understand, I truly do, but I still can't help but feel hurt about it. Why am I the last to know? "I know I should have told you sooner; I'm really sorry" she apologized. I know that she meant it, but I just can't help but get hurt. "When are you leaving?" I asked. "In a few days" she answered, and her answer made my knees buckle. It was a good thing that I was next to my bed and ended up sitting down on it.

"You're leaving in a few days and you're only telling me now?" I said, close to a whisper. "Bec" Freen called. I can hear footsteps, which can only mean that she's walking towards me. "I'm okay" I said, although I'm really not. "I just need some time to think" I told her. I know that she's going to say something but I can't really trust myself to be able to hold my tears back and I know for a fact that she doesn't like seeing me cry. "You should go first" I told her. "I'm just gonna finish getting ready then I will head out too" was the last thing I said before heading back inside my bathroom.

_______________________________
Hi everyone!

Here's another chapter...

I'm trying to write as fast as I can to upload faster...

I hope you enjoy and see you in the next chapter...