Chapter 23

Will just stood there.
He didn't move.
He didn't speak.
He just stood there.
Dr. Parker wanted to say something, but she wasn't sure what that should be, so she just kept silence. 
After a few minutes she saw a few tears running down Wills face.
But still he didn't move.
Then he opened his mouth and first Dr. Parker thought, he would scream at her, but he didn't.
He cried when he whispered: "She is never going to remember me?"
Slowly he walked towards the stairs in the hall and sat down.
Over and over again he whispered: "This can't be true, it is only a nightmare. Only a nightmare..."
Dr. Parker took a few steps towards him.
But he didn't look up, he just buried his face in his hands.
"I am at a loss what to do now." He whispered.
First Dr. Parker had trouble to understand him, but when he repeated it, she sat down beneath him.
"She is never going to remember me..."
Carefully the doctor rested her hand on his shoulder.
"Is there really nothing that you can do?" Will wanted to know and looked up.
Dr. Parker bit her lip and sighed: "I am afraid no..."
Will started crying again and Dr. Parker couldn't imagine, what this man was going through right now.
"But there are miracles, right?" Will wanted to know. "Miracles have happened before, there were fatally ill people, who recovered when no one was believing in it. There are miracles, right?"
"Yes, there have been miracles before, Mr. LaMontagne. But these miracles are nothing we can trust in. For the moment the only thing I can say is..."
Will interrupted her: "No, please tell me there is something you can do. Please tell me that you can help her to remind me and her son."
"I don't think there is something I can do." Dr. Parker whispered.
"Think of my son! His mother can't remember him! You have to do something!" Will was still shocked and buried his face in his hands again.
Dr. Parker had tears in her eyes when she said:
"I am so sorry, but I can't do anything. Sadly you have to consider, that she won't remember you and your son forever..."