Ch. 32: The Bottom of a Bottle

A couple weeks later, Emily was sitting at the hotel bar, running a finger around her glass of water. Charlie was no closer to waking up, and Emily was starting to get a bit worried.

Everyone at the hotel was worried about their light in the darkness.

Angel wasn't doing drugs.

Niffty was cleaning slower.

Pentious had less inspiration to build machines.

Even Alastor was a bit less chatty as he hid it behind his smile.

Emily was doing her best to run things but she could only do so much.

"Top you off?" Husk asked her.

"Whatever." Emily said, not looking up to him.

"You're upset, kid." Husk said, pouring Emily more water, "I can't blame you, but moping isn't going to help anything."

Emily just took it and drank it all before she frowned.

"My sister is in another ring, in the hospital, with no signs of waking up." Emily said, bittersweet in her mood. "The fact that I haven't started drinking yet is a miracle."

"Yeah, because you're the drinking type." Husk said, cleaning a glass. "What happened to "angels don't drink?""

"Yeah, well..." Emily then pulled out a cigarette and used her fire to light it. "I'm not much of a heavenly being anymore."

She put the cigarette between her lips and took a hit of it as Husk gave her a sad look.

"I know things look tough right now, but if there's one thing I know about you Morningstars, it's that you're too stubborn to give up. I've seen Charlie keep going when everything seems bad. It's honestly impressive." Husk said as he poured Emily her third glass of water.

Emily took the cigarette out of her mouth and drank her water, finishing it before putting the glass down. Husk went to fill her cup again, but she waved him off.

"No, get me a whiskey." Emily said, surprising him.

"... You sure, Kid?" Husk asked.

"I've had a lot of things happen as of late, I REALLY need something strong." Emily said, before taking another drag of her cigarette.

"Yeah but don't think I can't hear you having nightmares at night." Husk said.

"...Just please give me the drink." Emily said, looking away as she pushed her glass to him. "I don't want to talk about the nightmares."

Husk sighed as he nodded, grabbing a bottle from the shelf.

"Demon Seed Whisky, made with Scorpion Pepper, Ginger, and Maple Syrup." Husk said, showing her the brown bottle of liquor.

He managed to open it before Emily took the bottle, drinking from it like she's been drinking for years

He managed to open it before Emily took the bottle, drinking from it like she's been drinking for years. You couldn't even tell that this was her first alcoholic drink. Husk looked at her.