★ { Ananas } Slate Gray

REVIEWER: rebecca_batteur

CLIENT: alpaljames

Cover:

The cover is physically very beautiful to see, it immediately attracts, it is well done and you can read the title correctly on it, although I find that the arrangement of the elements on the page is quite haphazard. I think there isn't enough space left for the title and author's name, as well as the red eyes glowing against the black background, which makes them lose a bit of their menacing side.

Apart from that, the two characters on the cover are very recognizable and form a nice opposition, announcing the predominant theme in this book: the relationship of the two sisters. However, I can't help but say that I prefer the illustrations of the characters present directly in the book, at the start of each chapter. These are very beautiful, there is no doubt about it, but I find the old ones, the ones used in the book, more striking and more faithful to reality. They clearly show that the eyes of the two sisters are gray, unlike this version where Ace has blue eyes and Perrin has green eyes. Plus, I find a certain beauty in the old illustrations, a particularly unique side that looks more real and special than the current cover. These illustrations have personality, their own style that fits perfectly with that used in the story, directly immersing me and allowing me to bond with the characters. The two Slate sisters looked much more realistic, much more alive and you could guess a lot of their personalities through these drawings. But here, if it keeps their main characteristics, I have the impression that we still lose this spontaneity for a more polished, more refined and clean version. Their clothes give me the impression that they have just come out of a fashion store, their faces are very clean and above all devoid of what gave them depth. Ace for example has the face of a little angel. I think this fits, in principle, quite well. But the old illustration also shows her as a wide-eyed girl, almost consumed by the knowledge inside her and the prospect of what she wants to become. Here, I feel much less of all that.

These are just details, of course, and I dwell on them simply because I have grown attached to these characters and am trying to convey what I think would best do them and the character justice. The unique aspect of this story needs this style of drawing to highlight it well.

Title:

I must admit that I understand this title without really understanding it. I would say I could take the words separately and analyze them and understand their meaning, but put together I can't quite grasp what it means. I don't mean at all that it's a bad title, quite the contrary. I would say more that I am incapable of grasping what is behind it and of being able to highlight the thoughts at work.

First, Slate, the last name of the two sisters. I asked myself, why Slate in particular? Is there a reason or was it just that the name sounds good? I tried to go straight back to the meaning of the word to make sure I understood what we were talking about. Slate is often used to describe a piece of construction formed to make a roof or a thin material made from the compression of other stones to create thin layers. It would make sense to associate slate with gray, since slate is often gray in color.

But, in this case, why use this particular formulation? Was it to play with the idea that slate is a resistant material? I think I don't understand all the subtleties here. Perhaps it's a play on words with the material and the gray morality of the two sisters. I could also interpret this title as a reference to a tomb, although that would perhaps be extrapolating a bit too much. Or even a reference to the fact that the names of the two sisters were inscribed in stone before their birth. I wouldn't really know how to choose, I can only guess, however, I have no doubt that there is an explanation behind the choice of this title.