Chapter One

Anna looked at me like I was part of a different world. " Anna, you changed a lot since we've been dating. You never picked up the phone when I called. You know why? You are always talking to that guy! Also, when I made a date for us to go out, you said you had other fucking plans!" I started to yell at Anna. I never yell at a woman, but if I ever did then you know damn well, I am pissed. I sigh and stick my hands in my pockets. " Anna, I'm sorry for yelling at you, but I am not the one who changed you." I said looking at her with a dead expression. "What!" She screamed; at this point everyone is now staring at us. I quickly glanced around at the many pairs of eyes on Anna and me.
Well fuck that's simply great, Suki will think I am the biggest asshole at south high.
"You're suck a dick!" Anna yelled at me crossing her arms against her chest. " I'm a dick? Hmm so you're saying that me treating you like a queen is being a dick?" I paused for a little bit to find my words. " How am I a dick when I treat you so perfect and you treat me like I'm dirt on your shoes?" I started to raise my voice again. " I thought you were who I..." I cut myself off and shook my head turning my back on her. "Matter fact that shit doesn't matter to you, thanks for wasting my time." I growled walking away from her and out of the double doors of the school. I got to my truck by opening the door, closing it and tears started to roll down my face. Yes, the captain of the football team is bawling his eyes out. I loved Anna; she was perfect. When one of my boys told me, she was cheating. I honestly lost it and I kind of punched the guy in the face and broke his nose. I tried to apologize to the guy, but he did not accept it and then tried to punch me in the face. I grabbed his fist, and I broke his wrist. There was a knock on my window. "Austin?" Said a sweet calming voice.
I knew it was Suki by her voice. Suki and I had been friends since we were just babies.
"Yes Suki?" I asked, trying not to sound like I was crying. " I was just making sure you're okay because I saw what happened between you and Anna." She said sweetly and I opened the door and got out of my truck. " I'm alright Suki." I lied.
Why do I feel so bad about lying to her?
I leaned against the tuck. I heard her feet shift against the pavement. " Austin, I've known you since we were babies. I pretty much know you like the back of my hands, so don't lie to me mister." She said using her famous motherly tone. I sighed, looking into her eyes and spoke. " why do you care so much? You just saw me be the biggest asshole in front of the whole school." I could hear my voice crack a little; I could feel the tears in my eyes like an ocean ripping away parts of the beach piece by piece. I looked at Suki's face trying to read her emotions, but I could not see anything, not even in her eyes. She became silent and stared at me for a minute, then I saw her emotions in her eyes. " I care because you have been my best friend since birth. I even used to like you for a long time, but I realize you were not going to like me like that. So, I moved on from that fact," she paused and looked at the ground. " I just don't want to see you getting hurt anymore, because it hurts me too, so I can't just stand there like a bump on a log watching you get hurt by these sluts and whores that don't give a flying fuck about you." Suki started to cry, running her fingers through her blue hair. I did not know what to do, but my first reaction was to pull her into my arms and hold her. Suki buried her face into my chest and wrapped her arms around my lower back. I started to rub her back trying to calm her down a little; she cried softly into my chest which muffled her weeps. "Shh, it's okay. I'm alright; everything is going to be okay I promise." I said to ease her nerves a bit. I hate seeing her cry, more the fact I am usually the cause of it, I always hated myself for being the reason. Yeah, yeah, I know, I should have known she was the one for me, but I did not. Right at this moment, realization had to hit me in the face, because I had feelings for my best friends. Though the question is do I love her? I feel her relax against my chest and sigh. "You are a pain in my ass Austin. I hope you know that." Suki mumbled, pulling away, breaking our hug. " yes, I know, but I am your pain in the ass." She giggled and gave me a soft push. " We should head toward class because we're kind of late." She says and starts walking quickly toward the school, I closed my door, and I followed her quietly behind her, lost in my own thoughts. I got Suki back to her classroom, I tried to give her a hug goodbye; I sadly got rejected for some odd reason. I quickly investigate the classroom and see my teammate Cody narrowing his icy green at me, making me cock an eyebrow out of confusion. I get to my classroom in about thirty minutes, I knock on the door and seconds later after my knock, I am faced to face with my math teacher, Mr. Herbert. " Mr. Smitty, will you tell the class. Why are you late today?" He looks at me and narrows his eyes.
Is everyone narrowing their eyes? Damn.
"Someone told me to go to hell, so I got confused and started to look around, then I remembered I have your class today and now I'm here." I told him and the class with a big goofy smirk across my face, Mr. Herbert sighed and shook his head. "Go take a seat Mr. Smitty." He mumbles closing the door behind me as I take a seat by my mate Cooper. " You think you're funny and cute Smitty?" Mr. Herbert asked, glancing at me then back at the board. "No sir, I'm hilarious and adorable, plus all the ladies love me, Frank." I said calling him by his first name, Cooper and I fist bumped and laughed. Cooper is my teammate in football. He is the left fielder and a damn good one at that! Frank is the math teacher, but he kind of looks like a writing teacher. I guess he got stuck with the nerd his high school year. He hates me for always calling him by his first name, but I get away with it because I am passing his class with all A's beating everyone except Copper and Alexis the smart. Everyone else is failing badly. Yeah, I know what you are thinking, a football player making all as is not that crazy? Well, I do not want to get into college because of football; I want to be accepted for my brains too. I leaned back into my chain closing my eyes and listening to Frank about math.
For instance, how do you equate that whatever you do to one side you must use the "inverse" operations (do the opposite)? We do these math equations because we are seniors, plus I am in all pre-Ap classes and some college classes as well.
"Austin?" I heard a small soft voice behind me; I turned around looking at Becca. She is pretty. I will give her that, but I would never date her. Big reason is she is known to sleep around with other people. "Can you help me out with this problem I'm having?" She says in a flirty way sliding her hand down my arm. I glanced over to see Alexis's mouthing, "no." I smiled with a slight nod of my head; I looked back at Becca. " I can't help you with your problems. Becca that's what therapy is for, and I am not a therapist, not trying to be one." I told her then to turn back around. I chuckled hearing a small gasp of shock because she finally processed it in her head. " The last fifteen minutes of class I want y'all to get with a partner but choose wisely these people you pick will be your partner for the rest of the school year." Frank said, glancing at me and Cooper; my eyebrow went up at him. I got up from my desk feeling all the eyes of the student on me as I walked the path of judgment, but I honestly did not give a damn. " Hey Alexis, may it be so kindly to have you as my math partner for the rest of the school year?" I asked her to bow at the end. I heard her giggle softly. " I would love to be your partner." Alexis says and pats the seat next to her and I sit down.
No text from Suki.
I sigh, putting my phone in my pocket. "Thank you for telling me not to help Becca with her math problem." I smiled and glanced over to Becca with Cooper.
Really Cooper... do not get a disease.
" you're welcome, Austin would do anything for Suki's best friend. I heard her boyfriend doesn't seem to like you for some reason." She said not looking up from her book.
Boyfriend? Hate me? What?
"She has a boyfriend. Who? And why doesn't he like me?" I bombed her with questions, and I panicked a little. "Umm, yeah for about like five months, that her and Cody been dating. I don't know why he hates you though." Alexis told me, finally looking up at me. "Cody black? My teammate in football? The right fielder?" I question her raising my eyebrow. She nodded, putting her stuff in her pack and getting up; I signed out of anger and defeat.
What is the point now? Why didn't she tell me... that hurts a lot actually?
"Yeah, sorry I probably should-." The bell cut her off as she tried to finish her sentence, but I honestly do not care right now I wanted to get out of there. I told her bye and left the classroom when I heard Chris shout from down the hallway. " Hey team captain isn't you ready for the home game this coming up Friday? I heard it's going to be big as hell!" He shouted and patted me on the back. "Um duh of course I am! I'm the big puzzle piece of the team, The team captain and the quarterback." I told him with a shrug not even looking at Chris. "You better fucking dress fast enough today or coach is going to make us all do Laps and bleachers, I rather do weights today little cooper." I said now looking at him. "Okay, Okay, I will, I promise." Chris said, holding up his hands in surrender and running towards his class. Chris is the little brother of David Cooper, but everyone David is Cooper. I honestly do not know why, it all started freshman year. The only time we call Chris, little Cooper is when he pissed us off or just to bug him, and oh boy does Chris hate it. I was walking to my second period class, which is English 4 with Mr. McBride. Suddenly, I felt a sharp pain in my chest like I had been shot, but it was only my heart being shattered to a billion pieces. I honestly cannot breathe on what I am seeing ten feet away from me was Suki and Cody kissing.
I love Suki Davis Foster.
I gathered up my broken heart and entered my classroom.