Chapter Nine

It is still Monday, and I am finally home with my baby, hopefully she goes to school tomorrow.
Suki is at the table doing homework with me. Mom was in the living room listening to our conversation. I help Suki with her English because for some reason I am a genius in English. "Finally done with this stupid homework." I said leaning back in my chair and looking at a Suki with a big smile on my face. "You're a pain in my ass Austin... I have more homework than you." She snorted at me and rolled her eyes. "Whaaaat?" I chuckled and gave her a pouty face; she rolled her eyes again. "Can you not? I'm trying to do my homework; I only have three more to go." She said with sass. I was about to say something, but my mom beat me to it. "Austin, let that girl do her homework. Come in here and help me." She says from the living room. I sigh and walk into the living room, my mom looking at me with her cocked eyebrow.
Mom, don't look at me like that, sorry I was born smart. "Boy don't give me that look. Let her breathe, you're all over her like a bee on a flower." She says and pats on the couch for me to sit down next to her. "I know ma, but I can't help it... I'm scared." I said quickly as I grabbed some clothes to help her with the laundry. "Scared of what?" She questioned me looking at me with a worried look, but I kept my eyes on the clean clothes. " I'm scared of losing her man, I had a nightmare that she passed away from giving birth." I said panicking a little. She sighed and tilted her head at me.
She is going to promise something, you damn well cannot promise over.
"Shay... honey I promise you that's not going to happen because god is-" I cut her off, "No, ma." I paused, looking up at her. "Don't promise... don't make a promise when we both know a promise isn't that powerful!" I said, raising my voice a little, I turned away and headed towards my room. "Shay!" My mom called and I kept walking to my room, slamming the door behind me. My mom only calls me by my middle name when she is comforting me or about to promise me something. That promise she tried to make us something you cannot promise on.
You cannot promise that I am not going to lose Suki from child labor... you cannot.
I lay in my bed in my pajamas with the lights off, I was just staring at the wall, lost in my own thoughts. When the door cracked open and some light from the hallway came through the small crack. "Yes?" I called out in a cranky low voice. I did not get an answer, but the light got bigger for a second then got dark again. I felt the bed dip a little bit; I knew then it was Suki. "Baby? Are you okay?" She asked sweetly and wrapped her small arms around me.
Should I tell her? What would she think?
I rolled over and wrapped my arms around her. "No... I'm not okay." I whispered like someone else was in the room and I did not want them to hear my weakness. "What's wrong? Tell me what happened." She said in a very calming voice and kissed my check. " The night you went to the hospital... I had a nightmare that you died giving birth to our babies... and it terrified me when you woke me up there was..." I trailed off; I could feel the tears coming in waves. "Shh." Suki soothes me and then continues as she plays with my hair because she knows it calms me down. " It's okay, I'm okay... nothing is going to happen. We are going to have beautiful children and I'm going to be by your side." She says and kisses my lips.
I feel her wiggle around to get comfortable while we cuddle. "Goodnight baby girl see when I wake up." I said softly and kissed her forehead. "Goodnight to you too baby sweet dreams." She says back then quickly adds. " I love you." I smiled and squeezed her. " I love you too baby." I closed my eyes and drifted into soundless sleep. "BEEP! BEEP!" The alarm clock went off and I groaned loudly. "Babe, turn off the alarm." I groaned again grabbing a pillow to cover my head, the clock was still going off. "Babe?" I asked to feel the bed for a body, but all I got was sheets. I hit the button on the clock and rolled out of bed. I smelled bacon in the kitchen, and I quickly walked out of our room to see who was cooking. I wrapped my arms around her waist and rested my head on her shoulder. " I didn't know you cooked." I said kissing her neck. " You never asked," She paused, putting food on a plate and turned to me. "So go back in the room and get ready for school, because I'm not giving your food to you until then." She finally said and turned her back on me. "Yes mom." I said sarcastically with a roll of my eyes and headed back into our room. I came back, fully dressed in blue jeans, a black with red plaid shirt with my cowboy boots. I sat down at the table waiting for my breakfast that was made by the love of my life. "Your breakfast, love." She says setting my plate in front of me.
Three pancakes, three pieces of bacon, and four eggs. Hey! What can I say I am a growing man? I need to eat.
"Mom! Food ready!" Suki called for my mom, and it made me smile, knowing she is calling my mom, her mom. "I'm coming, just make me a plate I'll be down in a second." My mom calls back and the bedroom door shuts. Suki sat down with her plate of food.
Let me tell you, this girl has more food on her plate than I do, and I eat a lot for a 6'1 full grown man.
"Why are you looking at me like I grew another head." She says before putting a mouthful of pancakes in her mouth. "Never thought you'd eat more than me." I told her, getting up and putting my plate in the sink. "Well, I am eating for two once again. Did you forget? You know well I can't eat as much as you." She mumbled with every bit of her food. I shake my head, laughing at her. "Come, I'm eating for two, we are going to be late." I say walking to the bedroom to get our bags. " I'm not even ready yet, so sit your pretty ass down and wait, Mr. Herbert can't wait for you." She snapped at me, and I did what I was told.
No, I am not whipped. Pregnant women are crazy, and this is not the worst part. How do I know this? My whole school does not know what a condom is.
I sat patiently for Suki to get done getting ready. I started to drift off in my thoughts. How am I going to make those? four words incredibly special? I know she will love the Cinderella idea with the horses. I can do that, but what else needs to happen? I need Jimmy's help with this. I pulled out my phone and texted jimmy:
(Me)Hey Jim, I need your help because you know this stuff better than I do.
(Jimmy)A-Bear! What is up? How may I be at your service?
(Me)A-Bear? Anyways I think you said that wrong. LOL. Help me make my proposal to Suki special. I have one idea, but I cannot think of anything else. I want her to remember it forever. You know what I mean?
(Jimmy)OF COURSE I'LL HELP! Let us talk more at school.
(Me)Okay, just come to the den for the fourth period. I will be at school only half of it because of Suki, but I must obey.
(Jimmy)Okay A-Bear, and Ha! See you soon.
I put my phone in my back pocket and as I did, I heard footsteps. "I'm ready baby. I am sorry that took longer than I tended to be. I couldn't find my sweats that I wanted to wear." She says walking in my view. Suki had her hair in a messy bun, with no makeup on. Even though she never wore makeup in her life. A gray hoodie with matching sweats. " That's Okay baby girl let's get to school." I told her to take a hold of her hand and head towards my truck.
Mom is going to kill me or both of us for missing a class or more.