Seabound: Chapter 9 - The Riddle of the Sphinx

Kai and Ray were training out in the courtyard of the Monastery while Master Wu was observing them for his research project. The Fire Ninja was able to beat the former Elemental Master of Fire with ease, managing to knock him down in just a couple of minutes alone.

Ray takes a moment to collect himself, and he smiles at his son with a weak smile. "How was that? Your old man still—still has awesome moves." He huffs. Kai laughs nervously.

"Real great, Dad. But we're just sparring for Master Wu's little research project, so, don't hurt yourself, okay?"

"It's a valuable opportunity to study the effect of elemental powers on a former master," Wu explains whilst standing atop the golden dragon statue. " But, sparring isn't what I had in mind. Uh, Kai, would you kindly direct a burst of fire at Ray?"

"Uh, what now?" Ray sputters, clearly confused about what was going on at the moment. Kai turns around and lights a small flame in his hand, causing his father to widen his eyes at the sight of it and drop his weapon. He runs away screaming. The Fire Ninja turns around with a bit of a smile on his face, while Master Wu offers a laugh of his own.

Suddenly, Cole runs into the courtyard, panicked. "Master Wu!"

The Master notices the panic on the Earth Ninja's face. "What is it, Cole?"

"Nya and the others are back at the Island of the Keepers. The Storm Amulet's at the Explorer's Club!"

"The Explorer's Club? How is that possible?" Wu wonders aloud. Kai nods along and puts his katana in the weapon holster behind his back.

"Who would possibly be foolish enough to do that?"

"Kalmaar's right. This is my fault." Nya groans while everyone else discusses what to do next to get to Ninjago City as quickly as possible.

"Don't give up, Nya," Maya was standing beside her and she was now patting her daughter behind her back with reassurance. "Zane will get the controls fixed. There's hope."

The aforementioned Nindroid appears out of the submarine, oil smeared over some parts of his wetsuit. He was holding a wrench by his side, and he was shaking his head to disagree with Maya's statement. "There is no hope. I've assessed the damage and it is beyond repair."

"Which means we're stranded." Jay grumbles.

Suddenly, Benthomaar had an idea. "Can you not use your Elemental Powers to summon the whales? They could easily pull this vessel behind them." He asks the Water Ninja, who looks at her mother and chuckles at this.

"Summon whales? No, I can't do that." She says with a shake of her head.

"But you are named Nya." He insists. She nods her head slowly, not getting the point of where he was getting at.

"Yeah?"

"The first Elemental Master of Water. Nyad. Surely you know the tale of Nyad." The shark prince says to not just her and her mother, but to everyone aboard. Maya nods quickly at the mention of this.

"I told you this. Don't you remember? When you were a little girl? The story of Nyad and the whales. She rode upon their backs. We named you after her," She explains to her daughter, who vaguely remembers the tales and stories her mother told her before she and her father Ray were kidnapped by Krux and forced to work for him. The former Water Elemental looks towards Benthomaar. "But, it's just a children's story, Bentho."

He shakes his head at the statement. "It's true. Nyad helped defeat the serpent Wojira," He takes a step forward, as he goes into an enthusiastic tangent about the first Elemental Master of Water. "She leapt onto the serpent's head with nothing but a broken trident." He finishes the brief description with a smile, showing all his sharp teeth.