Seabound: Chapter 2 - The Call of the Deep

"Rise and shine, sleepyhead! It's 6 A.M.! Early ninja gets the worm!" Maya sang bright and early in the morning, as she opens the doors to Nya's room. She gasps slightly at the mess inside, and shakes her head. "Oh, my! Would you look at this mess. Dear, dear, dear. Okay, let's tidy this place up. A messy room makes for a messy ninja, Nya, and we are not messy ninjas."

Maya starts cleaning up Nya's room. Nya groans and covers her face with her pillow. "Make it stop!" She groans, as her mother continues to clean up her room and put everything in its proper place. 

"Bladed weapons don't just get stabbed into a wall, they actually have a place! And chickens do not belong indoors!" Once her mother shoos the chicken out of the room, she smiles at how clean Nya's room was now. 

"Now this place is starting to look like something," Maya glances at her daughter and puts her hands on her hips. "Are you still lying there? Come on, up up up, sleepyhead!" 

She drags her daughter out of bed. Nya groans as her mother forces her out of bed, and she leans against the edge of it tiredly. "I find the best way to start the day and chase away those sleepies is with a few jumping jacks! Ready set go! One - and - two - and - one - and - two - and -"

Nya groans and flops down on the bed. "Am I having a nightmare, or is this really happening?" Katarina walks past Nya's room and waves at Nya. 

"Morning, Nya! I didn't realize you were such a morning perso-" Her eyes dart towards her old friend Maya, and she freezes like a deer in headlights. Maya notices her and puts on her best smile towards her old friend. 

"Good morning, Katarina! Nice to see you!" Katarina continues staring at Maya, breaking out into a cold sweat as her mind tries to go from a bloody and broken Maya on the Monastery grounds to the present Maya, who looked chipper and happy to be here.

"Erm....I have to...uh....go...do something...really important..." She turns around sharply and runs away from Nya's bedroom, leaving Maya confused. 

"Huh, that's weird..." 

Nya trudges into the kitchen five minutes later, dressed into her gi and her hair put up, but still looking pretty tired. She smells something cooking, and she sits down. "You made breakfast?" Maya looks up from the stove and smiles. 

"Of course I made breakfast! It's the most important meal of the day! If we're going to get you back in shape and fix your life, you're gonna need your strength!"

Nya rolls her eyes and mutters under her breath, "My life does not need fixing, Mother."

Maya puts Nya's breakfast onto a plate. "That's not what your brother says. He says your powers are going haywire and you can't control water anymore. Personally, I never had that problem when I was master of water, but never fear!" She sets the plate in front of Nya. "We'll figure it out together."

The Water Ninja looks down at her plate, and pokes the strange green-looking food with her fork. "Um, why is the bacon green?"

Maya chuckles. "That's not bacon, silly. It's seaweed."

"Seaweed?" Her mother could only nod in confirmation. 

"Goes great with tofu pancakes!" Nya felt like she was going to barf. Seaweed bacon? Tofu pancakes. Yuck!

"Ew. Yeah, no."

"And it will get you in tune with your element!" The Former Water Elemental picks up a piece of bacon with a spoon and holds it in front of Nya. "Now eat up. Gobble gobble!"

She shakes her head in denial. "No way am I eating-!" Maya shoves the spoon forcefully into Nya's mouth, catching Nya off guard. She chews it slowly and swallows it down. Yeah, now she was really going to barf. Where was the trash can when she needed it?