Prime Empire: Chapter 9 - One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

For those who have read my Google Doc "Is That Too Much To Ask?" Katarina's thoughts aren't directed at the Ninja, but directed to one in particular, and it's hinted throughout the chapters of this book who it is. 

"Guys, welcome to Terra Technica," Jay says proudly to the Ninja, gesturing around the massive techno city with a big smile. "The second Key-Tana is here, but the only way to win it is to be crowned champion in the Speedway Five-Billion."

"What's that?" Lloyd asks. Cole nudges his shoulder and points to a large screen displayed like a billboard that was over a roof of a tall building.

On the screen, it showed racers in their massive, impressive vehicles, competing against each other and using their tricks to get ahead of the others as their way to win.

"Only the most dangerous race in Prime Empire. The track is lethal, the turns are deadly, and the other drivers are wild!" Jay explains, as the others stared at the track and the racers displaced on the screen worriedly.

He leads them to a small building where players would sign up for the Speedway Five Billion, and racers were already outside with their vehicles prepping for the race the next day.

"Your receipt and directions to the nearest healing zone in the likely event of a fiery crash," An admin says to a rat. He calls out for the next player or racer in line. "Next!"

The Ninja walk up to the admin and smile kindly at them. "We're here to sign up for the Speedway Five-Billion." Cole says.

Kai looked nervous, which was natural considering it was a deadly race with an even deadlier race track. That and he still has one life left. "Uh, maybe we should start smaller. Do you have a Speedway Five-Hundred?"

The admin shook their head. "No."

Katarina rolls her eyes at Kai with annoyance. "We can't win a Key-Tana that way, Kai," She says with a hint of irritation in her voice. "We need to race in the Speedway Five-Billion."

"Wonderful," The admin says happily. "The entry fee will be deducted from your account."

"How much is it?" Lloyd asks the admin.

"Two hundred credits each. You must register as a team of six, which means you need a total of one thousand and two hundred credits." The admin explains."

"One thousand and two hundred?" Lloyd says in disbelief. "Wow. Okay, let's pool our money."

The Ninja huddle up and open their menu bar to see how many credits they had left.

"I've got, uh, one sixty." Lloyd says.

"I've got one ninety-eight." Nya answers.

"One fifty-three." Cole chimes in.

"A hundred and sixty." Jay says.

"One seventy-eight." Katarina quips.

Kai bites his bottom lip as he stares at the number of credits he has on his menu bar. "....Twelve?"

Cole, Jay, Nya, Lloyd and Katarina stare at Kai with disbelief. How in the world of Prime Empire and in the name of the First Spinjitzu Master did he have twelve credits?

"Twelve?!" Jay cries out angrily. He leans his face towards Kai's real close. "HOW DO YOU ONLY HAVE TWELVE?!"

"What did you spend your credits on?" Cole asks Kai, trying to keep his cool.

Kai presses the avatar icon on his menu bar and equips it, showing off his new drip. "This sick new avatar."

He began to flex his new avatar and show it off; It consisted of a brighter red color, with a slightly darker red belt, along with bleach-yellow hair, red paint smeared across his face, and lightning bolts on the front with a cobra on the back.