xxxvii. Built a Dynasty

Summer 1001 – Vinland

"Is it you?"

Astra spun around towards the accusation. Had she been in a more populated area, she may have ignored the harsh words that fell from Esther's lips. While Esther had never grown fond of her, she couldn't think of a single thing she had done to invoke such hostility. Recently, at least.

"No." Her reply was instant. Even if she had done whatever had angered Esther, Astra knew better than to admit it. "Although, it could be helpful if you shed some light on what you believe I've done."

"Don't play me for a fool." Astra's hands fisted in her dress skirts at the fire in Esther's eyes. She had seen the woman angry on numerous occasions, but never like this. Never such a murderous rage. "I saw you speaking with Elijah around the fire."

"If you think I am attempting to interfere with Elijah and Tatia, I assure you —" But whatever excuses she was ready to make were lost on Esther.

"You're telling me you have not laid with my son? That it is Tatia?"

Astra's mind was reeling at Esther's words, attempting to make sense of them. Of course, she knew Esther thought less of her for her promiscuity. However, she also knew Esther had known about them for years as she had pulled Elijah to the side when they were younger and lectured him on potions to ensure a child would never come from their unions. To Esther, there was nothing worse than tying her blood line to Astra's.

She should be relieved that it was Tatia who was in fact carrying her family legacy.

"Do you deny your involvement with my son?" Esther asked once again, clearly displeased with Astra's lack of response.

"You know, I cannot." Her words were short. Eyes searching Esther's for any sign of what the older witch was seeking.

"Are you carrying his child?"

She hesitated once again. The fear that had overcome Esther radiated off of her. Enough to overwhelm the anger that she had initially approached Astra with.

Whatever had made Esther so angry, scared her more than anything. The idea of Elijah's child scared her.

"What are you planning to do to it?" Astra's voice shook as another wave of Esther's fear ran through her veins. She was careful to not answer Esther directly. The combination of murderous rage and crippling fear did not bode well.

"You admit it?" Esther took an unsteady step forward, something like relief coating her fear. "It is you and not Tatia?"

At a different time, Astra might have laughed. Under no circumstances did she believe Esther would be relieved that Astra would be carrying her grandchild over Tatia. Which told Astra just what Esther planned to do to Elijah's child.