What can make the tide turn?

𝐈'𝐯𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐭 𝐚 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐟𝐥𝐲

𝐈'𝐯𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐭 𝐚 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐥

𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧?

𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐞 𝐛𝐮𝐫𝐧?

Eddie

It's been another week of no Buck at work and it's oddly silent at the station. I don't like to use the Q word. Chimney thinks 'quiet' is a word that sets off a curse. I think he's crazy.

"Dad! I thought Carla was going to pick me up from school?" Chris walks toward me with his crutches and backpack slouching down his back.

"I gave her time off, Mijo. I need to tell you something." I grab his backpack before it falls off of him.

Geez, what does he put in here? He's in middle school and not in honors classes. Why are there so many notebooks?

"You look sad, dad. I have some sad news too." Chris states walking with me to my car.

"I'm okay. You go first, bud." I help put his crutches in the backseat of the car.

"Amelia moved apartments. I still get to see her during lunch but she won't be able to have sleepovers with me anymore," Chris says with his head down as I hole his back so that he doesn't lose his balance getting into his seat.

"I know. Today, at work Cap announced that Buck transfered to the 114 and no longer lives in the district. Do you know which neighborhood Amelia said she moved to?" I get into the front seat after he's buckled in.

"Westmoore. The one next to Durand school. My friend Issac lives there with his parents and brother and dog. It's too far from our house though," Chris frowns from the backseat as I watch him in the rear view mirror. 

Carla and I take shifts driving Chris to Durand School. Its about 30 min from our house but so much better than having him go on a public school bus every morning with strangers. Plus, the Durand School gives him the support and special therapists he needs. The public school he was going to is closer to our house but I refuse to put him in public school and get bullied and not supported.

"Dad, can I ask you a question?" Chris perks his head up from frowning after a long few minutes of driving in silence. 

"Yes, of course you can, Chris. You can always talk to me about anything," I reply while focusing on the road. 

"Are there other kids in the world who only have one parent like Amelia and I? All of my friends have two parents even if they were adopted or have gay parents. I can't even see Amelia outside of school now and she just gets me and understands how I miss mom," Chris says while mispronouncing a few of the bigger words.