CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO (ZERO POV)

Chapter Twenty-Two

Zero

Soji he was as he is now, age, looks he was the Soji that I had kidnapped. Yet he wasn’t there was a maturity in this Soji that wasn’t in the one I had known. I was different as well, I followed behind him blindly in my demon form. This was before my time with Kar and Shu. Before I was Zero again. Before I knew anything but Soji and the never ending hunger that ate at me. This was when Soji was the God of the Moon and not just some White Mage his father meant to use.

I sat beside Soji on the roof of the castle they had build. How long had I been here? I couldn’t know that time meant nothing to me. I knew that I’ve been at Soji’s side. That I had watched him grow older. That I have fought beside him and watched as other died around him. I knew his pain because I could taste in when I licked his sweet tears away. I didn’t care about the others who were here. What they thought of me was pointless. Soji was the only thing that made me think right. In this haze of never ending hunger Soji was the only thing that made sense.

“Zassago,” he called to me and my eyes slide over so that I could look at him. The raw stake that he had gotten me from the kitchen was in my hands. I ripped chunks of the bloody meat away as we sat watching the night sky. “Do you think dying would be painful?” He asked me and my chewing slowed as I forced myself to swallow. Dying, the word arouse emotions inside of me Stirred feelings within my core that I wasn’t even sure I had.

“Death,” I said ripping at another piece of meat. Soji drew his legs up hugging them to his chest as he looked up at the star lit sky. Out here you could always see the stars.

“I wish...I wish I could die. I wish I didn’t have to be the Moon God.” Soji said as I finishing off my meal licking the blood from my fingers. My stomach gave a rumble telling me it wasn’t enough that we needed more. Of course we needed more, there was always need for more in this hunger haze. “I wish I was never born.”

“If you haven’t been born I would still be in that cell.” I said and Soji looked over at me. “You were born so you could be the Moon God. You are live because you are important.”

“My own mother hates me, my father only wants me around for my powers. What good is a God that can’t even enter the heavens. I’m so useless.”

“I’m a demon that has never entered hell. Am I useless as well?”

“Demons want to get out of hell. It’s an honor that you have never seen it. I feel so out of place among the humans. I don’t know how to act around them. I’d rather spend all my time with you Zassago. A God who prefers a demon over humans. What a pathetic thing I am.”

“Self pity doesn’t suit you.” I told him reaching out and grabbing his chin. “You are Soji that the only person you ever need to be. Why would you kill Soji when only you can be him?”

“Easy for you to say. You don’t even know who you are. You haven’t defined yourself yet. I’m the Moon God, people expect things from me. No one ever expect anything from you. From any demoon.”

“Ban does,” I said his name and Soji eyes met mine. “Ban expects a lot from me.”

“The Great Demon Ban, he is your master.”

“He is my...” I paused toying with the ring around my neck. Ban’s name was always special to me even in the haze I knew it held meaning held power. When hunger was the at the forefront of your mind day and night how could I say. Ban was what to me, friend, foe, food. “Ban is...” I tried again and Soji dropped his gaze from mine looking off over the side of the roof to the eighty foot drop anyone who went over would have.