CHAPTER TWO 2.0

True blue, that was what they called a deep blue color. Or maybe it was ocean blue. Ocean blue seemed more fitting for these eyes. Even as I stared I could see them ripple like the surface of a lake. Ocean blue because the waves were crashing against me. They washed away the sand at my feet drawing me deeper into its freezing water.

I could hear the way my heart race. There was something inside of my head. A voice calling to the depths of my soul. I wanted to go to this person. My soul wanted to go. I could see a hand raising. It offered itself to me. It beckoned me forward.

"Don't look, Natsu!" A voice yelled. I knew that voice belonged to Blake, my best friend. He never uses my real name. Hearing it on his lips snapped me out of my daze. Shaking my head, I stumbled back away from the stranger. My eyes set on the man before us. Who was he? Where had he come from?

"We need to get out of here," I whispered to Blake. His head only nodded slightly. Both of us were backing up towards the mouth of the alley. This is the last time I cut school with Blake. How was it that he was always the reason I was in hot water?

This time it seemed different. This wasn't some adult threatening to tell our parents on us. The man in front of us couldn't be much older than we were. He was in his mid to late twenties at the most. Not so old that he should be tallying on us. Only it felt as if he would do something much worst then call home to mom.

There was a knot in my stomach. The sour taste that was slowly filling my mouth could only be called fear. I feared this stranger and I wasn't even sure why. When I stepped back again I could feel those eyes on me again. I froze not wanting him to attack before I had time to form a plan. What was the plan? Run like hell.

My eyes shifted over to Blake. I could see his fingers moving at his side slightly. He was preparing to run as well. Sliding my eyes back to the stranger he was still standing there. If we ran would he give chase to us? Why? What had we done that would promote him to follow? Yet I knew if we ran he would follow.

Rule number one to running away with a friend: always make sure the other person is slower. Don't be afraid to kick out knees and tie laces together if the occasion calls for it. In the game of life, there were no teams, families, or friends. If your life was on the line you lived. That was the only important thing in this world. Living.

"Zero," Blake called me, "when I count to three run." I sized him up for a moment. I've known Blake since pre-K. This fucker would get to two and take off leaving me in the dust. My heart was slamming against my chest. Blake didn't look scared though. He looked . . . determined.

Nodding my head slowly, my legs were shaking. I felt as if I was two seconds away from pissing myself. It would be very embarrassing to run all the way home covered in my own piss. I would have to live through this in order to be embarrassed. Taking a deep breath, I squeezed my eyes shut before opening them again. Piss or not, I was making it home.

"One," I took off running. Turning down the alley and pumping my legs as fast as I could. "Son of a bitch!" I heard Blake yell from somewhere behind me. It was a longer way to run if I went home. At this spot, the school was closer. I turned down another alley taking the back way towards Holly Roll High.

Every report that has been in the news for the last month played through my head. Hell's gate was open. Demons walked among us now. They slaughtered in the thousands. Whole cities were being taken out by these blood thirsty beast. It was only the beginning. Or at least that was what they wanted us to believe.

I thought it was all horse shit. There was no such thing as demons, no such thing as hell. So why was I running like Satan himself was on my heels. My steps slowed until I finally stopped. Bending down my hands rested on my knees as I tried to catch my breath. Looking around Blake wasn't around. I lost him somewhere back there. I hope he was okay.