CHAPTER FOUR VERSION 2.0

Every day was the same mundane routine. Sitting in Calculus class Mr. Parker was going on about a new formula. Today I just couldn't focus on anything that he was saying. My chin rested on my hand as I looked out the window.

The world is changing. That was what the adults kept saying. When was it going to change enough where I didn't have to go to school anymore? I doubt I would ever be that lucky. School was a temporary prison parents didn't feel bad sending their children to. My mother's favorite line when I complained about school was: think about it like a job. If this was a job where was my check at the end every week?

Outside the window, the trees rustled softly. It was a nice sunny day, the perfect day to engage in the world. My head tilted to the side when I saw a man. When walked from the storage building. He wasn't wearing the uniform, but I could see Mrs. Chim coming out from behind him. She was pulling on her clothes and smoothing out her hair.

Did Mrs. Chim just get it on with that guy? My eyes shifted back to him. He was oddly beautiful. There was no other way to describe him. Long red hair flowed around a perfect face. He wasn't like most other guys. His clothes didn't hang off of him. Instead, it fit perfectly.

Was he a teacher here? He looked kind of young to be a teacher. Maybe in his early to mid-twenties. My tongue flicked out as I watched him. Mrs. Chim had already walked away, but he was just standing there. Maybe giving her time to make it back. That way no one would know what they two of them were up too.

His head raised and his blue eyes locked with mine. For some reason, my heart picked up. Jumping out of my seat the chair slammed to the floor with a loud thump. My head snapped away from the window as I saw the rest of my class looking at me.

"Is something the matter Mr. Bale?" Mr. Parker asked me. I looked back to the window, but the blue-eyed man was gone. Looking back to my teacher I started to gather my things shoving them into my backpack.

"I need to go to the nurse's office." I told him. My things were already packed up and I was heading for the door before Mr. Parker could answer. When the door closed behind me I reached up touching my chest. What was that? It was this sense of dread from looking at that man. I felt like my heart was going to beat out of it chest.

There was this uneasy feeling of fear that clawed at my stomach. It twisted me up in knots. I tried to swallow it down, but my breathing was becoming erratic my heart was still racing. Was I having a heart attack. I was pretty sure sixteen was too young to have a heart attack. Clutching at my chest I felt like I was going to die.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Easy there." A hand was on my shoulder. "Easy, easy, slow breaths." I started to take slow breaths. Forcing the air into my lungs. "There you go. That's not so hard." It was a few minutes in the hall just trying to breathe again.

At last I looked up to see Blake smiling at me. My best friend for half my life. Of course, he would be the one that found me in the hallway freaking out. I felt his finger on my hair ruffling it like I was some kind of kid.

I knocked his hand away before standing up again. My fingers let go of the fabric of my shirt. It was a heart attack. It was probably a panic attack. Why would see that guy make me have a panic attack. He was unlike anyone I ever saw before. He . . . terrified me.

"Come on." Blake slapped me in the back of the head as he started down the hall. I waited for a moment before rushing after him. "It to nice of a day to waste in school. I call cutting." Could you actually call cutting. I pushed my fingers into my hair. I was still shaking, but I nodded my head.

"Yeah, I could use some cutting." I didn't want to be in school. I didn't want to meet the man with the red hair and the blue eyes again.

There was a strange pull on my soul. It tugged at my very core. I could see a room filled with blurred faces. My name was being called or maybe it was being chanted. Someone was calling to Zassago. They did it in the demonic tongue, they spoke words that dug into my mind and made it hard to refuse.