CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Chapter Twenty-Three

Hiro paused dropping down to his hands and knees panting for air. I was the first to notice his collapse as the others walked on a bit more. It wasn’t until Ban stopped walking that the others followed suit. I kneeled down beside Hiro passing him a bottle of water that he took and drank from greedy.

“On your feet.” Ban said and Hiro shook his head falling onto his butt and crossing his legs. He took a few more swallows of the water before taking in a deep breath. “I said on your feet.” Ban hissed at him and Hiro glared at him from his sit. For the last week we been walking the two of them bumped heads. I had thought that Ban could have killed him by now. Other than slapping him around a bit Ban allowed his defence.

“Fuck you. I’m not a demon.” Hiro yelled. “I can’t walk for days on end.” I turned to look at Ban. Hiro said he couldn’t walk for days but it had at least been one day since our last break. I had thought the pace set would have been too much for him but he kept up with us just find.

“I think we all could use a rest.” I said sitting down beside Hiro it wasn’t that I was or anything I just didn’t feel like seeing another fight between the two of them. Hiro would mouth off and Ban would punish him. What Ban failed to realized was that his punishment always took longer that whatever rest Hiro needed to take. Blake walked over to Hiro reaching down to the boy but his hand was slapped away before he could touch him.

“I don’t need your help.” Hiro hissed at him and it seem the only one he tolerated was me. Passing him some food from my pack he started to eat as Blake sat down with us. My friend looked over at me sharing a look that I knew meant he didn’t like Hiro. I laughed slightly putting my hand on Hiro’s head and ruffling his hair.

“He’s not as mean as he seem.” I said and Blake rolled his eyes.

“So what’s the plan.” Blake asked me in a hushed tone his eyes looking ass Hiro and I towards the other five demons we were with. “I know that we are going to Soji but it’s not a good idea to walk Lord Ban to the front gates of there hideaway.”

“Soji isn’t in the church.” I told him and Blake leaned back on his elbows. “We will cross paths with him in another two or three days.” I filled him in pulling out a cigarette and lighting it. Lighting another I passed it to Hiro who took a drag before blowing out the smoke and falling back into the grass.

“Who’s Soji?” He asked and I took the cigarette from him as I passed Blake my own.

“A white mage.” I answered turning to look at the others seeing them all pressed together as they whispered about something. “Why are you two with those asses? You don’t seem to fit in with the rest of the demons.”

“Well we are just with them for now.” I spoke casting my eyes back to Ban. Once I had the sealed then I would leave. I needed the seal fist though. There was no way I could leave something so dangerous with Ban. Then there was the matter of Kenji. I would end him as well. This time forever. I frowned when I felt the ground under us quake.

The three of us jumped to our feet as the others looked around. I could feel a shift within the air. No demon was stupid enough to attack us while we were traveling with Ban. So then what was this. I watched as the sky started to get dark and lightning crackled in the air. My nails grew longer as my fangs pressed down. Hiro held his hand out to the side of him as a void opened to his left and he reached his hand inside. Withdrawing it he held a long scythe in his hands.

“Something is coming.” Blake said and I rolled my eyes giving him the ‘no shit’ look.

“Thank you captain obvious.” Hiro said his grip on his weapon tightening as the ground shook and the sky boom with lighting again. My lips pulled back in a sneer. I hated games if something was going to attack I wish it would just show itself already. Anything was better than waiting around for something to happen.