CHAPTER ELEVEN

Eleven

         At last we pulled up to gates of the the church Soji’s people were in. The huge church loomed over us casting it’s great shadow over the land. It hadn’t changed at all since I was gone. I knew the hateful people inside of it were the same as well. Rhett trained his people to kill my kind, to lock us away in their cells. So foolishly we walk to them. Soji grabbed my hand making me look over at him. He have a weak smile. He too knew the headache that was about to come. Knew endless bitching that was going to come when his father saw us.

         “Why are we going to a church?” Blake whispered in my ear. There was an amused edge to his tone. I was sure he thought I had lost my mind. It wasn’t really what demons did, not the way that they lived. I wasn’t your everyday demon though, I can’t remember a time when I followed any set of rules, but my own. “This should be interesting.”

         “Have you ever had a dull moment with me.” I mocked him, and he tapped his chin as if he needed to think on his answer.

         “Well there was that one time I cut class with you, and became a demon.” He said, and I gave a light laugh as I punched him in the arm. Entering the building Rhett was standing on the stairs waiting for us. His eyes looked as if he held all the fury of hell inside of them. All aimed at his son. Soji sighed ready for whatever punishment was to be given out.

         “You would dare bring in two uncollared demons into this house of Gods.” Rhett said, “Have you lost your mind Soji?” Soji only shook his head no, not finding the words to speak to his father. “Who gave you permission to leave these walls in the first place.”

         “Dysis, she said it was okay. Zero was bring back the Sword of Souls. We had to meet him at the gates.” Soji said looking at the woman who had traveled with us then back at his father. I watched as Rhett eyes lit up at the name of the sword. Dysis thought that it was useless because I used it. It made me wonder just what did they need this sword for.

        “Bring me the sword.” Rhett said holding out his hand, his greedy little eyes falling to me as he noticed that the sword was at my back. Soji turned to look at me, his eyes asking if it was okay for him to bring the sword to his father. Shrugging it off my back I passed it to Soji. He took it to his father who unsheathed it looking at the blade. He looked at the blade with a lust in his eyes. Running his hand over it he started to chant strange words.

         They were purifying words. Covering my eyes it brought me great pain to listen to those. Blake was doing the same holding his hands to his ears a look of pain on his face. The sword made a wailing sound, and I saw hundreds of souls trying to get out but still attached to the sword. I frowned at all the trapped souls, what would they need with that thing. His chants stopped, and the pain I was feeling subsided. Without another word to his people he turned around, and started to walk back up the stairs he was standing on going deeper into the temple.

         “I have a few things I need to do.” Soji said, and I nodded as he kissed my cheek. “You don’t have a collar so try and stay out of trouble, you to Blake.”

        “Scouts honor,” Blake teased him as he gave him a salute. Soji gave him a confused look on his face. The Scouts were something that was around when Blake, and I were human. Like many things from our past it was just another thing lost to time. I punched Blake in the arm again as we left out of the building. I always felt watched in that place. Roaming the outer edges of the courtyard I spotted a face that I knew.

         Akabane was tending to a patch of garden that was by the gates. Walking over to him I tapped him on the shoulder causing him to whirl around, and look at me. He stood up smiling when he saw me. His eyes went to Blake, and I saw a flicker of recognition in his face. It was impossible for Akabane to know anything about Blake. The picture he had showed me was just of our family. I doubt Aayden went around passing down stories about me ,and my friends to his children. Aayden never liked Blake in the first place, said that whenever I was around Blake I was bound to get myself in a shit load of trouble.

        “Aayden,” Blake said looking at me then back at Akabane. “How are you alive?”

        “This is Akabane, he’s my way to many greats to remember nephew.” I said, and Blake looked at the man again who stuck out his hand for Blake to shake. Blake looked at the hand then at Akabane again.

         “I know Aayden when I see him,” Blake said. Rolling my eyes I pointed at Akabane.

        “Then you explain to me how Aayden could still be alive right now. It’s not like hes a demon or anything.” Blake walked over close to him sniffing the air around Akabane. The older man looked at Blake a confused look on his face as he stood there allowing Blake to smell him.

         “He smells like Aayden.” Blake said, and I threw up my hands. Once Blake set his mind on something it didn’t matter how right or wrong he was. He was going to stick with his story, his original thought until the day he died, or maybe in this case until he went back to hell.

         “Fine Blake he’s my dead brother.” I said giving Akabane a brief hugged. Seeing him again made me remember how much I missed him. It was a weird feeling this knowing, and closeness to Akabane when in all truths I knew nothing about him. Maybe it was the blood connection that we had with each other. He was of my blood so of course I was close to him. He had Aayden’s face, seeing him just reminded me how much I missed my brother.

        “Come on I don’t want to waste time with Aayden.” Blake said, and I rolled my eyes at him. It was funny though, two hundred years has passed, and Blake still hated my brother. Akabane wasn’t my brother though, I reminded myself. No matter what Blake called him Aayden was dead. What is dead can never be awaken. Shaking my head I knew how big of a lie that was. Soji died, and came back; I died and came back.

        “We will talk more when annoying people aren’t around.” I told Akabane, and he laughed then nodded. Walking away I followed behind Blake as he wandered around the courtyard. Coming to the garden I frowned when I saw it. The last time I came in this place Rhett was pretty much selling Soji to Able. Blake didn’t stop for a moment so I followed behind him until once again I heard the hushed voices of Rhett. His secret meeting place was in used once again. Blake put his fingers to his lips as we peeked around the corner looking in on the clearing.

         Nero was sitting on one of the benches that was in the cleaning. Rhett pacing the ground in front of him. His hands behind his back as Nero turned every flower he touched black. I shared a look with Blake wondering what was going on. So far neither of them muttered a word to one another. Rhett seem distress by this meeting; Nero was the image of calm, and cool.

         “Soji is growing up so quickly,” Nero said, and Rhett paused in his steps to look at him. The mention of Soji seemed to have him rattled.

         “Don’t bring my son into this.” Rhett said, Nero gave paused to his words as if he was thinking them over. As if he needed to consider what was being asked of him carefully. Picking up another flower I watched as it slowly turned black then crumbled away in his hand.

        “Don’t so foolish Rhett, I’m not talking about your son. I’m just making an observation about my nephew.” I looked from Rhett to Nero. They looked nothing alike so I was sure Nero wasn’t Rhett’s brother. That mean he was the brother of Soji’s mother. That strange woman I meant a few times. That asked me to protect her son. Then feed me her blood making me kill the light that I held inside of me. I knew Rhett was more than a human so what was he. He didn’t feel pure like the woman, like Soji was. Was he an angel, was she an angel? I didn’t know if I believed angels were real. That would mean that Soji was half angel. Shaking my head I didn’t have the energy to play these guessing games with myself.

        “I will tell you just as I told his mother, Soji is mine Nero. I will not allow anyone to take him from me.” Rhett said, and Nero let out a huff of air. He ran long slim fingers through his golden hair. His lavender eyes were set on Rhett staring the giant man down. Standing from his seat he walked over to Rhett grabbing the man by the throat and lifting him in the air with on hand.

         “What the fuck?” Blake hissed then covered his our mouth to keep the two men from hearing us. Well if I thought Nero was human before all of that was removed now. Rhett was no little man, unlike Nero who looked like a teenager that skipped a few meals. Rhett one the other hand was tall, wide, with a bald head, and a long beard. His blue eyes held fear in them as his feet dangled off the ground.

        “How bold of you to make demands of me Rhett.” Nero said tossing Rhett to the ground as if he was a rag doll. The older man coughed, and choked as he stumbled back to his feet. Calmly as if nothing happened at all Nero went back to his seat picking up, and killing flowers again.

         “What do you want?” Rhett asked a nervous edge in his voice when he questioned Nero.

         “So many things in this life. Few of which are in your power to give me. I had come here to tell you that the Day of Light was upon us. Imagine my surprise when I see you with the Sword of Souls. The same sword that Lord Kazuki never lets out of his sight. It got me to thinking, what would the Order of Chaos need the Sword of Souls for. I can only think of one reason anyone from here would need that.”

        “Will you try and stop me then?” Rhett asked, and Nero yawned as if he was bored with their talk already. “This is what you have wanted all this time. A way to bring them here.”

          “Don’t presume to know anything about me Rhett. I hope u know the demons will not allow you to do this easily. Not after they failed to bring hell to Earth.”

         “The demons have no idea what we are planning.” Rhett said, and Nero laughed as he shook his head.

         “How stupid do you think Kazuki is? How blind do you think Ban will be? Beside they will know everything when I tell Ban.” Nero said, turning I shared a look with Blake. Who was Nero that he was welcome among Soji’s people, and had standings with Ban as well? Rhett eyes widen at Nero’s words. I could tell that he was outraged by the thought. There was nothing he could do about it though. Nero already prove what one of them would win in a battle.

         What did they need the sword for? What was Rhett planning on doing that would cause Ban to worry? I wondered if this was the same thing that Kazuki spoke of. He sent his dog Djuda to Ban because something was going to go down. What could the Order of Chaos plan that even demons would be against? I tried to think, but the truth was I had no clue. It could be any number of reason, doesn’t mean any that I came up with would be the right one. It pissed me off a bit, I helped them get the Sword of Souls. Did that mean that I took an active part in whatever they were doing? Did Soji know what his father was planning?

         “How could you go to Ban? Why would you betray your own kind to a demon?” Rhett said, and that earned him another soft laugh from Nero.

         “My own kind,” Nero mused over these words for a moment. “This is what my kind has done to me. Do you think I have any love left for them? Poor Rhett, you talk big. You play with magick you have no understanding of. Then you whine like a bitch when things don't go your way.”

         “I forbid you to go to Ban.” Rhett yelled his face going red in his anger. Nero stood up looking at the sad mad that was yelling. He pointed at Rhett, and the old man fell to his knee clawing at his throat as he gasped, and struggled to breath. His face started to go blue when Nero lowered his hand. Sucking in big puffs of air Rhett looked up at Nero. A murderous look in his eyes that he would be a fool to act on.

         “When your plans crumble at your feet make sure my nephew is in a safe place. I would hate for anything bad to happen to that boy. We both know how special he really is. Oh and Rhett,” Nero said pausing as he turned away from Rhett. “Should one hair on Zero’s head come to harm all of hell will rain down on you. And that’s just what Ban will do. I will be much, much worse.”

         “What’s a demon life to you?” Rhett asked, and Nero tapped his chin as if thinking about my worth.

        “A demon’s life means next to nothing to me. Zero’s life on the other hand is something I will not allow you to swander recklessly.” Then he was gone just like that, just like in the bar where I first saw him. One moment he was there, and the next he was out of sight. Rhett stood in the garden pulling himself together before he had to face his people again.

       So many thoughts were rushing through my mind. Why did Nero care about my life? I was just another demon. Sure Ban took a liking to me, but that meant nothing. I was no different than any other demon. The means in how I turned was different, but other then that I was the same. I was a demon just like Blake, just like Kenji, and Ban. So why, why did it matter if I was hurt? I reached up wrapping my hand around the ring around my neck. It brought me comfort just as it had many times in the past. I didn’t know what was going on yet. I however knew that I was going to find out.