CHAPTER THREE

Three

        Kar was apart from the others on the ground kneeling as he faced a huge oak tree. The others on our team didn’t mind him as they checked their weapons. I watched his grandson Shu briefly as he ran around camp giving this person what they needed, and that person what he or she wanted. Shu had the energy that only a seven year old could have. I turned back to Kar to see he hands folded, and his head bowed in prayer. I walked over to him waiting until he was done before he rose to his feet again.

    “Who did you pray to?” I was never good with the gods even when I was human. I could count the times I’ve been to church on one hand. Of course as the world changed the gods did as well. We no longer prayed to Jesus, no longer believed in the Father, the Son, or the Holy Spirit. They went back to the old ways praying to multiple gods for whatever it was that they believed in. Just father proving my theory that gods are fake. If they were real where were they when Jesus, and his father were running thing. If there is a one true god where is it now?

    “I pray to Aella goddess of war before battle. I pray to Daos god of forgiveness after battle.” Kar said, and looked at me. “Pray with me next time.” He said, and I frowned at him, at the thought of praying to false gods. I was a demon there was no way I was going to pray to a god. I didn’t like a lot about religion, but I was pretty sure demons don’t pray.

    “I will pass.” I kindly declined his offer walking with him back to the others with him at my tail. Everyone looked up from what they were doing when Kar, and I rejoined them. There were four others on our team at the moment. Each of them had their own reason to want to hunt, and kill demons. Only Kar, and Shu knew about my true nature. It was safer that way, with only the two of them knowing. If the others found out they would try to kill me.

  “Alright everyone,” Kar started, “we are going after the pain demon Amon. This is Zero’s first hunt with us so lets make sure we show him how it’s done.” Kar said, and they raised their weapons as they gave a cheer. Kar walked over to me putting a big hand on my shoulder. “Now remember you’re a black mage okay.” He whispered in my ear, and I nodded. It wasn’t that hard to forget. My magick was either my demonic powers or black magick. Piling into the cars we took off down the road.

      The pain demon Amon, I still remember him quite well. He was my first after all, as the saying goes you never forget your first. His hair was fire, his eyes were ice. Skin gray and rotted away, he smelled like a dead things that baked in the sun. There was train track nails going through his skin. Covering his whole body he was hard to look at. He smiled at us when we had him cornered at last. His teeth yellowish brown, and broken.

      “Why are you with the humans?” His voice was inky, and hollow. It felt as if his words slithered around me. “You are a DEMON.” I growl low, and deep in my throat. Other then Ban I didn’t face a lot of demons in my life. I didn’t know they would be able to tell who I was, what I was just from looking at me. Or maybe he could smell it in my blood. The taint that all demons had was inside of me as well.

    “Come at me.” I told him, and he rushed forward. I took the dagger Kar had given me out, and went forward as well. Nail against dagger he matched my moves until I grabbed his arm twisting it behind his back. He growled at me his nails shooting out of him one stabbing me in the leg. I hissed in my pain, and backed away reaching down I yanked the nail out of my flesh. I was being watched by the rest of the team. Under the pretense that I was human I needed to make them believe I was in pain from the attack. Honestly though I could hardly feel it anymore, it was just a bug bite to me.

    Amon hands started to glow with his demonic powers, and the nails rose from the ground. They came together mixing, and melting until an iron man was in front of me. I smiled at the power he had. To manipulate matter was a special power to have. I wanted it, I wanted that power as my own. I felt the black flame wrap around my hand. I swore in my head hiding my hand so that the rest of the team couldn’t see. The black flame was my demonic gift. It gave me the powers to take the souls of humans, and the powers of demons.

    I could feel Amon’s eyes on my hand, like a moth he was drawn to the flame. I stood up again pretending to test the weight on my leg. I held my dagger in my other hand there was no was that some low rank demon was going to get the best of me. I smiled at him and he backed away from me.

   “What kind of demon are you?” He asked me his eyes still on the flames around my fist. I rushed forward my dagger slipping between his ribs as my hand wrapped in the black flame went through his chest. I could feel his core where his power was, and I plucked it from his chest. I saw the portal to hell open behind him, and I jumped away as he was sucked towards it. However not before I ripped one of his nails from his body to prove that we killed the pain demon. Keeping my back to the rest of my team I looked at the glowing orb of his powers in my hand. I put it to my lips, and swallowed the powers so that it could settle inside of me making itself my own.

    “Go Zero.” I heard one of the men on the team yell, and I smiled as I turned around  walking back to them. Passing Kar the nail he patted my shoulder with a job well done. Shu looked up at me with hero worship in his eyes, and I frowned slightly. A human should only look at a demon with disgust. Then again Kar, and Shu never looked at me that way. Since Kar found me in the woods I have been family to them. “Never saw a demon taken down so fast before.” Someone else said, and I laughed a little.

    “Well you never saw me fight before.” I told them, and they laughed with me as we went back to our car to go back to the town to collect on the Pain Demon Amon, and find our next target.