CHAPTER ONE

One

   Hell is what you make it, fear it or take it. When you think of hell what comes to mind? Fire, and brimstone was what I pictured. It’s what the bible promised me when I cared enough to read it. The tortured souls of the damned, and my main man Satan seated on his throne of skull. Well maybe it didn’t have it in those words, but you get the picture. Hell was to be feared, it was where the bad people went. It was where the demons lived.

  How many times had my mother yelled at us about being good people. If you’re greedy you will burn, lazy you will burn, if you have too much pride you will, my dear, burn. Envy you burn, lust burns, rage you’re going to roast, and my all time favorite of them all. If you eat that last piece of pie your mother has been eyeing all evening. You just reserved yourself a place in a fiery pit of eternal damnation my friend. The way I see it they should say if you’re human welcome to hell.

  I admit I was hoping for something cool, I was looking for the ‘what the fuck is that’ factor. Maybe my thoughts were more Dante’s Inferno, nine levels of hell, pick one. I never understood  why hell was meant to be a bad place. If Satan is the father of lies, and I’m a liar why would he punish me for doing what he did. Everything you go to hell for is what the devil enjoys. Hell should be one big party. While all the goodies are up in heaven being bored to death.

   I enjoyed the Greek take on hell as well. Hades watching over the soul of the lost, the three headed dog guarding the gates. The skeleton man row, row, rowing his boat gently down The River Styx. Of course in the Greek hell there is no demons, and it’s not even called hell. In Greek hell very few were allowed to leave  the underworld.

     What about the people that didn’t believe in hell? When I was human I was one of those non believers. There was no heaven ,and no hell. There was no God and thus no devil to rise against him. My views were twisted back then, they were childish, and naive. How could I have known the way the world would have turned though? How could someone like me guess at it? Had you said I was going to be a demon one day I would have had you committed to a nut house.

    If anyone said I was going to hell, I would have laughed in their faces and told them probably, ‘There are no bad people in the world just bad choices’; my mother use to quote that nonsense. If there was no bad people why are there wars, why did people get killed in the gutter for the coins in their purse? Why are women raped in back alleys while the people that lived above turned up their TVs? If there are no bad people in this world then why teach about hell in the first place?

    I didn’t have time for childish dreams, couldn’t afford to have naive thoughts. The truth of it was, it is rare to find good people in this world or the next pure people that had good clean souls, and the will to keep them untainted by this filthy world around us. It takes a special person to be good. Anyone can be evil, anyone can be a bad person.

    Soji was a good person, he was clean, and pure. It had been so long since I had seen him. For the last six months I have been in hell. I couldn’t forget him though, from the moment we met he had been at my side. It seemed like a lifetime ago when I was waiting outside of that club with Shu, and the others. When I saw Soji standing in line trying to get in.

     Shu, even now his name summons a dull pain inside of me. Had I been stronger that day I might could have saved my good friend Shu. I had lost so many on my journey to where I am now. So many people I cared for had give up their lives for what they believed in. Friends, family, lovers all had been killed at the hands of demons. I missed the days when the world was simple. When someone was found dead you knew it was because some sick twisted human killed them.

   That was ancient history now, if you found a body the first thought is that it was a demon that put it there. Outlaws were still out there though, being hunted for their sins. Where those people good people? If they knowing slaughtered thousands did that mean they still weren’t a bad person? If I choose to do the wrong thing time, and time again when does the blame fall to me. I blamed the person who took the action. I blamed Ban.

  Ban was the reason that I was here right now. Ban was the start of everything. Two hundred years ago the idiots who worked for the government opened a door to hell. Demons poured out of that door for thirty days, and thirty nights until it was shut again. Ban was among one of the first to enter the world of humans. My family was one of the first to fall at his hands. Had I not bit him, and taken in his tainted blood I would be dead. Instead I was a demon now. His blood changed me into what I am today. I hate Ban with all that I am. As much as I hate him I loved him as well. He was bad for my health, but most thing that taste good are. I was conflicted with my emotions though. Soji was in this blackened heart of mine as well. I love him though I knew I was no good for him.

    Loving someone means letting them go. I fell into hell, and Soji was freed from me. No, I didn’t fall someone pulled me in. I would have blamed Ban, but if it was him he would have been waiting for me on the other side. He would have been too happy to claim his reward. Truth is for the last six months I haven’t seen hide nor hair of Ban or Soji. For the last six month my own goal was making it through hell.

     This place was a labyrinth of levels, and caves. In the center of all of the levels was a massive hole that if you looked down into all you saw was endless darkness. Once every thirty minutes it blast up a stream of fire going through all of the levels, and burning everything that was unlucky enough to touch it. The smell of burning demon’s flesh would forever be in my nose. The levels had no reasons to them. One would be the souls of the damned wandering around aimlessly looking for something, begging for whatever pleasure it was they sought in their life. Another would be full of demons fighting, eating, killing anything that stood in their way.

   I noticed how the lower class was always picking fights with the class above them. They all wanted to better themselves so that they could be the next powerhouse. It was always hot down here, my clothes always clinging to me with a thin layer of sweat. Most of all I was wrong about one thing. Demons knew honor, they honored those with noble birth, and blood. Those who sold their souls to become demons were looked down upon. The ones that were weak were raped, and killed. Respect was a big thing in hell. You had to demand it from the other demons or they would try you time, and time again.

   I was different then the rest of them, they looked down on me because I stuck to my human form, it was the form that I was most comfortable in after all. They tried to attack me because they thought I was weak, but I taught them over, and over again just how strong I was. During my stay here I ran into some of the demons I had fought when I was hunter. They tried me again, they lost yet again. Running back to the lower levels with their tails between their legs, and their head hung low in defeat.

     I was respected because I had noble blood, I was hated because of how I had gotten that blood. The demons down here looked down on me because I bit their Lord Ban. Because I took his blood, and became what I am. They hated me because Ban allowed me to live, because Ban loved me. The fact that he loved me  was still a strange, and hollow thought; his words whispered in my head even now. They vibrated through my very core sending shivers down my spine. I hated the effect he had on me. Then again in hell anyone that had a familiar face was welcome.

    I’ve been wandering in the dark so long even Ban was welcomed. I would wish for Soji to be with me, to stand beside me, but how could I wish someone like Soji would come to this place. They would eat him alive down here, down here only the strong survived, and those who are weak parish.

     I heard a rumor though, when I was on the lower levels. That if you make it to the top levels the door that was opened is there. I knew that it was shut now but there had to be a why to open it again. Demons get out of hell all the time, it couldn’t be that hard a task to do. I’ve been making my way to the top level since I heard that rumor. I was nearing the top but I still had a ways to go. The thoughts of my family, and friends pushed me forward.

     There was so much that I wanted to do topside. I wanted to hug Rai, and tell her that I missed her in these months I was away. I wanted to kiss Soji, and sleep with him again, and again until we both had our fill. I wanted to speak with Akabane again. To learn everything that I could about what my family had been through these last years. I was too busy to be trapped in hell.

     I wanted to see Ban as well. I’ve gotten stronger fighting to keep what was rightly mine in hell. I was better then I had been when I first came here. I could beat him now. I felt as if I was strong enough to end the Great Demon Ban. I wanted to do so many things, but all my dreams, all thoughts would be wasted if I couldn’t free myself from this place. That’s why I needed to get out. I wasted time thinking the others was going to think of a way to free me. Now it was my turn to free myself.

       “How do you know Tommy will enjoy you?” Blake asked, and I could feel him pressing against me. I felt a rush of blood to my face; I was an idiot blushing because Blake was this close to me. “How do you know you will be good enough?” He said, and his lips gently touched mine. His lips were soft, and smooth. I could feel his tongue licking my lips. My mouth opened under his, and I accepted his tongue. I could feel Blake pushing himself to me more, and more, and I liked the way it felt. My head tilted to the side so that I could deepen our kiss. My tongue twisted around his as I felt Blake’s hard on pressing against my pants.

    “My, my...” A voice said, and we both turned around to see a man standing in the mouth of the alley. Blake, and I broke away from each other, and looked at this man. He was a bit taller then me, seem to be older than us but not super old. I would give him mid to late twenties at the most. “Please don’t stop because of me.” He said, and I reached in my pocket feeling the knife that I keep there.

      “Piss off we’re busy.” Blake said, and he took a step forward standing between me, and the strange man. His eyes were as blue as oceans, and they seem to ripple as it they were the surface of some pool of water. I stepped closer to him looking into those blue eyes. I could feel something drawing on me. It felt as if something was calling to my very soul. “Don’t look Natsu.” Blake yelled; the use of my real name made me look at Blake.

   Whatever spell the man was weaving over me broke when I looked away from his eyes. I shook my head, it felt as if a fog had fallen over my brain, and I was just now waking from a dream. I tried to clear my thoughts so that I could focus. There was something off about this person. I couldn’t tell what it was, but he wasn’t normal. Normal people’s eyes didn’t do what his did.

    “We need to get out of here.” I whispered to Blake, and he gave a slight nod. There are some fights that are best left unfought. I had the feeling if we went against him Blake, and I would both be in the hospital or worse, dead. I took a slow step backwards, and the man’s eyes went to me. I froze in my step not wanting to blot. I didn’t know if I was faster than Blake so running was out.

    Rule number one to running away, make sure the person you’re with is slower than you. Sounds harsh, but when whatever is chasing you attacks their slow ass, and not yours you will learn to live with it. I took another step backwards my fight or flight in full effect now.

    “Zero when I count to three run.” Blake said out the corner of his mouth. I nodded slightly my heart racing a thousand miles a minute. My legs were trembling a bit. I feared this man. I didn’t know why. He gave us no reason to, but I feared him. “1...2...3...RUN!” Blake yelled, and I turned around taking off down the alley. I didn’t know where to go. Home was too far away. Turning towards school I pumped my legs as fast as they could carry me. Faster, I thought again, and again. I needed to be faster, then who, faster then Blake maybe, faster then the man following us.

    The news played in the back of my mind as I ran. The gate to hell had opened, the idiots of the government opened it. Demons walked among us now. Demons killed, and slaughtered in the thousands. Turning down an alley I tripped over a fallen trash can. I cried in pain as a piece of glass stabbed into my knee.

    Grabbing hold of my knee I swore a few times in my head before I yanked the glass out. I watched the blood stained my pants.  I sighed as I leaned back against the wall of the alley. I needed a moment to catch my breath. I needed to get up, needed to move.

    Looking around I didn’t see Blake anywhere in sight. Did I lose him somewhere when we ran? I couldn’t remember if he was behind me when I started to flee from there. He would call me later, and we would laugh about this; it was what we always did. I stood up testing my knee to see if it would hold me.

   “How dishonorable leaving your friend like that.” The voice said, and I looked up to see the blue eyes again.