Public Policy

Kristian

His comment makes me pull away and twist my hear around to see if anyone was looking at us.
Holding the slightly heavy trophy in my hands,I place it closer to my chest,"I think I might want to go get sushi,thoughts?"
"I'd love to show you the wonders of seafood and fine dining but I'm occupied."he places a casual hand over his suit and smooths down the fabric. Believe it or not his mood speaks through how he touches his suit. If he smoothes it down,he's happy.
If he touches the buttons or his tie,he's in a bad mood.
I try to hide my disappointment and shrug at this revelation,"You can head to my house if you'd like to wait-"
"I'm fine,I'll just go home."we start to walk away together out of the bustling crowd of people socialising,I'm too tired to be putting on a fake smile,
"Lucky you,Red. I still have to go to an interview with national news."
"What are you going to say? I'm a king and you all should listen to me?"I imitate him as best I can and he scoffs,
"Recently passed bills,recent attack dodge a couple questions about dating... the usual,"
"Ex girlfriends."I add and he bursts out laughing,"What's so funny?"
"Unlike Shane,I don't have multiple different flings and flavour tastings."
"Oh,cool,I've been selectively celibate the past seven years because of my health. Doctor said its not good for me,"
"Same,"I feel a little embarrassed because I always assumed Elijah sleeps around with multiple people and is a player. That the Bethany girl was his ex-lover. Now that I'm not jumping to conclusions it makes total sense for someone as work obsessed as him to be celibate.
"I think your driver's here."I point to the silk black car,after we step outside. He nods and doesn't say anything else as he disappears.
I ignore the feeling of wanting to call out to him.
But for how long.

_________________

I wish I had gone to his house when he offered. Because here I am,with a huge tub of ice cream and fried chicken fighting the urge to turn on local news and watch his interview.
I'm losing by the way.
Pulling my hair into the small pony tail Elijah claims is 'useless' and pick up the remote turning on the very thing I've been fighting. Feeling guilty I turn to the news channel and spoon more mint chocolate ice cream in my mouth,
"... Mr Lewis,more on your project."the reporter says with a wide smile and enthusiasm that sounds genuine. The camera pans to Elijah who seems calm and cool,giving it a second as the camera takes in the whole scene,
"What do you want to know? I'm warning you though,I can only tell you so much,"he crosses one leg over the other,with such elegance and propriety. With a perfectly timed laugh from the hostess she continues,
"When will there be a functional prototype? As you know people in the business world are well aware of your projects and ambitions. Their just itching to get their hands on something,"
"If I have to estimate,I'd say two weeks. With the pace I'm going I'm sure it won't take long. Although we haven't formed a developmental team yet which is slowing things down a little,it's just me and my confident."he answers and the reporter nods,
"It's good to know,Mr Lewis. You're projects are precious and you take them very seriously,combining them with your duties as a protecter is what you like to do. But this time around I think you're hoping to strike some profit?"she whips her shoulder length hair back as she waits for him,
"Not necessarily,Lewis Corp is a special part of my heart and family heritage,I'd be lying if I said that keeping money flowing in the business isn't one of my goals,"
"Speaking of heritage and reputation which knowing you you're very fond of-"they both laugh a little,"Just today,you were spotted in an unlikely event."
"Oh?"he says sipping a cup of whatever they've given him,
"The Craftsmen convection."she drops and he doesn't seem too shocked,
"How is that unlikely?"he asks,with a raised brow,
"For three years in a row your intellectual abilities have never gone unnoticed by the High Board of Ferrez or the public eye,you've always appeared in the panel of judges this year though..."she lets her words drag so as to suggest more to him dropping it,
"I thought it was time for change."he says simply,
"That's Elijah Lewis always with the decisiveness but the pink news says otherwise. You said just now that the team is just you and you're confident. People say you left the panel to accompany you're assistant?"Elijah stops right in the middle of a motion.
I almost think that the screen has stopped with the way he completely freezes. For a few seconds he just glitches,then he blinks,and pulls his arms over his chest and sitting up straight,
"He did compete,yes. I fail to see the correlation?"
"Well,you did appear two hours early and were seen going into a back stage room with him-"
"We weren't the only people there,just to mention."He grows more and more tense by the minute his front of cool and calm thinning. She seems to be enjoying his reaction.
"Well,althoughthe photographs are slightly blurred,you two were captured hugging,talking and from the looks of it he's quite a looker would you agree? This is new behaviour from you considering that you don't even hug the other avatars- who you consider to be brothers with."
"Well that's normal considering the rumours surrounding a possible avatar to avatar relationship when we were in high school."
"That was quite the scandal indeed it took your father a good amount of time to get rid of it. How young is your assistant? He looked a lot like a super model,don't you think?"she sips her own drink not taking her eyes off him once. She wants to get a rise out of him,it's so obvious yet so subtle. It's also infuriating.
"He's turning the same age as me in a few months,I can promise we're equals in age and in our work process."
"Almost as equal as partners? A king and his rose perhaps...?"he goes completely silent before scoffing,
"No,not that far."
"Tell me more about your assistant?"
"I don't know too much because I haven't been working with him for long."
"Is that a lie I smell,Lewis? Anyway,forgive me,people have been in a daze about whether or not you'll finally get married for the past seven years. It's a bit nerve racking considering royalty marriage culture."She's definitely not sorry.
"I think we'll continue to be in a daze about that,I'm sure the other avatars will make sure to leave little to be desired."
"The second eldest after you is,Shane and he's known to be a little of a player-"before he can say anything in response his funny wrist band under his luxury watch lights up,
"Speak of the devil,huh?..."he turns his wrist towards him before shaking his head. He pushes to his feet making his head disappear from the frame,"Looks like I'll have to cut this interview short,"
"Duty calls?"
"I'm afraid so."he runs out after that and I turn off the television definitely mad at this reporter for her questions. Never thought I'd say this but I don't even look that young!
I can't believe she'd suggest something like this all because he hasn't had a history of dating.
I need to validate my feelings so I turn on my phone and go to the nearest social media app. I search up his name and the latest news about him comes up.
Endless clips of his freezing are being made fun of. Just that one snippet again and again. Comments like,
"... He's definitely not telling the truth."
"Their so obviously dating <3"
"Look at his body language,he's clearly getting defensive because their in a relationship."
"I never thought I'd see the day Elijah Lewis fell for a social climbers scheme,looks like the celibacy went straight to his head...."
"Who the hell even is this guy? I think he's trying to cosplay as a King's rose."
"Someone tell him to get in line!"
I leave on spiral of scrolling and go onto pictures. There's actually so many... thousands of pictures of us.
Some from today,others from almost every single time I've been out with him. I go to the news channel I normally follow along with for Internet drama,"This just in the king of spring has some pretty concrete rumours of dating-"
I turn my phone off and try not to scream.
This is a nightmare.