CHAPTER 13

Emerald St. Clair's POV

"Your husband is waiting downstairs, sis." I grinned devilishly, watching my twin sister packs her things. I couldn't help but tease her about it. I leaned on the doorway watching her with amusement. I knew this thing would happen the day I learned that he was Ruby's husband. He would want his wife to stay with him under his roof.

"Stop jesting, will you?" Ruby scowled at me squarely. "I can't do anything about it. If I refuse to live with him chances are—he will tell Granddad that he's my husband and stop posing in that freaking doorway like you are in a photoshoot."

I laughed merrily, making sure that my amusement would hit some nerve in her. "Gosh, such a hot-headed woman that you are."

"You don't understand what I feel right now, Em," Ruby answered passionately, placing her clothes inside the luggage with such fervor. "I will be trap in my marriage with him if Daniel learns anything about this. He will make sure of that and that's the end of me."

I smirked at her. "Such dilemma you have there, Red," I said without even a hint of sympathy in my voice. "Marrying a stranger within days of meeting him then running away from him, surely you expect him to follow you, correct?"

"Not really." She mumbled under her breath.

"Such juicy little tale for Granddad, Ruby," I told her evilly. "You know our family creed, sis. 'A St. Clair never backs out on a promise'. So you are honor-bound to keep your promise to that Spanish man whether you like it or not."

Ruby shut her suitcase and glared at me vehemently. "Emerald St. Clair." She warned hotly. "If you breathe a word to granddad or to any other living person that I'm married to Roman Vasquez, I will kill you. Do we understand one another?"

"Go ahead and try, Señora Vasquez." I raised an eyebrow in her direction. "Let's see who will have the last laugh. At least, before my demise, I already blurted to Granddad your delicious little secret."

"Emerald!"

I detached myself from the door frame and laughed while walking away from Ruby's room. "Get moving, sis. We don't want your husband waiting far too long for you. Make it fast, okay?" I repeated as I moved away from her room. "While saying goodbye to your room, I will entertain your husband downstairs."

I slowly descended from the modern staircase of my penthouse. I regarded the man who patiently waiting for my twin sister in the receiving room.

My twin sister knew how to pick a handsome man for a husband, I mused silently, as I silently studied the man patiently waiting in my living room.

"Hello," I greeted with a ready smile on my face as my brother-in-law stood from the white sofa when he caught the glimpse of me. "We haven't been properly introduced." I extended my hand towards the gorgeous Spaniard's direction. "Since my twin sister is still in her state of shock at the turn of events in her life I will introduce myself to you, brother-in-law. Ruby finally told me about your relationship. Emerald St. Clair, you are?"

He took the offered hand and shook it briefly. "Roman Vasquez. Nice to meet you, Emerald. Sorry I haven't introduced myself formally to you last time."

"Oh, believed me..." I replied with enthusiasm in my voice while eyeing Ruby's secret husband. "...I'm very interested to meet you since you barge here in my penthouse looking for my twin sister."

Color slightly crept in his handsome face. He looked away at the knowing gaze of Emerald. "Er, sorry for that day I'm very rude."

"That is fine, brother," I answered cheerfully. Maybe it's not bad for my twin sister to have his man as her husband. It seems that he was the one Ruby was waiting for in her life. Since our parents' tragic death she's never been the same. "I used to be called 'Ruby' at least ten times a day during high school. So I'm pretty much used to it."