132

School activities resumed, and Boma's heart raced with anticipation as she awaited the results of her first test.

Early in the morning at 7:00 am on the dot, she was already in the campus to check the result. Lacking confidence in her performance, she wanted to do it when few or no one was there. She got there and was in luck. She was alone at the large notice board.

The tension in the air was strong as she scanned the list of grades posted on the notice board. This was for one of her hardest courses and she had barely prepared due to clashes with her job and skipping classes with Teni.

Her face paled  as she spotted her name among the low scorers. She got an E. Taking a pen, she quickly blotted the grade and her name. She figured she would make it up during the exam.

Queen, Bella and Tracy arrived to check on theirs. Even they were on average. Queen got a B grade, Bella and Tracy both got Cs. They were happy, hugging each other. 

Boma was envious and managed to congratulate them. Tracy and Bella left, excusing themselves to decorate someone's bridal shower. Queen would join them later as she had something to do in campus. She revealed decoration was now the trio's side hustle which Boma commended.

"You don't look or sound so good. How did you do?" Queen asked Boma.

Boma shrugged. 

"At least I didn't fail." She said, sounding quite defeated.

"Hmm. You should attend all night reading with us. You know our squad. Yes we may be all about enjoying ourselves but we know the primary aim for coming to school. We cannot lose track of that."

Boma thought about her words for a moment and felt offence enveloping her.

"Are you accusing me of being an unserious student?" She questioned.

Queen was surprised at her words. "What?"

"No, tell me how unserious I am. You just told me about how focused you all are. So now, I'm the unfocused one and that's why I'm not doing well, right? Why don't you say it?"

"Boma, I never said so."

"Well, it's dancing on your tongue, isn't it."

"Look, is this about me dating Fidelis?"

"Yes, it's about him and also all this talk of unseriousness."

"I'm sorry I tried to encourage you but, no offense, why are you bothered about my relationship? You don't own Fidelis."

"He is my friend turned in-law. He deserves....better."

"What are you talking about?"

"Oh, please everyone knows how you...are. You, Bella, Tracy. You're bullies and...wayward."

Queen was silent for a while. "We might have started that way but we have changed a lot."

"Right after you guys knew I was with Donovan."

"Maybe, but we've apologized. We cannot erase our past. Still, will you let our past define us? You...don't you have any past? Have you always been on the straight and narrow? For some time we have admired you. Last time we decided to embark on a journey of change was at your bridal shower after that incident. You almost fell but changed your mind and luckily, Hilda came back and saved the day. That incident sparked the change. And here you are judging us so harshly? Why?"

Boma stood there, lost for words. She wanted to apologize but pride kept her silent.

Queen backed off and walked away, leaving her alone. Boma stood there in silent contemplation as other students began to show up to check their results.