Chapter 3

Even if the class only had 15 other people, I will still have a lot of kids to meet soon. I took all of my classroom supplies that will not fit into my binder in this cubby drawer beside the door. Everyone seemed rather friendly and they where doing their best to not stare at me,(thankfully) just simply minding their own business. Unlike the teacher.

Miss Lenal was certainly a talkative teacher, as she babbled on about all the 'awesome' things I will get to do in this class. She said I could sit beside any one I would like, and who looks to be 'my style'. (don't ask me what she meant) Miss Lenal also told me she found a student who is going to show me around the school for the next couple days. I'm hoping nothing more, as I already feel the dread and anxiety that I always seem to experience. Most people would decipher that I'm shy, but in my mind, I'm actually rather paranoid that people will ask me to much information.

I looked around the class for an available seat, which could hopefully be placed beside someone un talkative. Then again, its hard to just guess these things. Lets see... a bunch of boys with one girl laughing there heads off...nope, one waved at me. Some girls talking about books... I would fit in, but I don't want to...

Then I saw the perfect 'shy new kid' opportunity. There was a girl in the corner of the class, reading a book I like (it was The Power of Six, part of the Lorien Legacies series) who seemed to be doing her own thing. There was another group nearby, but maybe they won't notice me. The girl had short amber hair and beautiful blue eyes that seem to have shades of green and gray mixed in them. I walked over to the desk beside her. "Hi, is this seat taken?" I asked. She looked at me and smiled. "No, it's all yours." She said. I sat down and put my binder on the desk. I decided I would like to read, to. I took the last book of Artemis Fowl out of my binder, and started reading about a fairy sabotage act. It spiked the girl beside me 's interests. "What is that book about?" She asked. I showed her the cover. "Its about this teenage boy, Artemis Fowl, and how he saves the lives of the fairies, the entire population, from humans who selfishly still want revenge from a war they had hundreds of years ago." I explained. She smiled. "I would probably like it. This book is more Science Fiction." She said. I nodded. "I've read it before, they are really good." I said. "The Artemis Fowl series actually is more sci-fi to, as it deals with demons from outer-space." I said. "Oooh, are they at the public library?" She asked. She corrected herself-"They books, I mean." I nodded while we where laughing. She seemed to be remembering something. "Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. Books are distracting." I laughed in agreement. "I'm Madeline." She said. I smiled shyly and introduced myself. She asked me politely about my interests, (she had a really kind attitude) and I explained a few things about literature, science and (mostly) cats, before the bell rang.

*

The first course we had was Science, and I was ruefully disappointed at the lack of advanced learning. We only learned about the Kinetic Theory. (unfortunately, Mrs. Lenal didn't even know the proper term, and just explained about the atoms) Our universe obviously has more advanced learning (and knowledge in general) compared to humans. I suffered through the class, and the introduction of myself to the class. All in all, Ecole George McNowell looks really friendly from what I've seen so far, filled with very friendly peers. My one disappointment: Mrs. Lenal spoke less French than some of the French immersion kids. She did it in a joking way, but if whe're at a French school, i'm expecting to hear complete French. Just saying. Its not like she's a really bad teacher or anything...

At the end of the morning, I had survived a whole 3 classes with out much staring from other students or embarrassing "Ebony, please tell us something about yourself." Although, I did meet a new group of people, which is always nerve racking in the beginning, but it turns out they are a lot like me. Madeline introduced me to Gloria, Fawn, Jane, Rose and Miria. Gloria was the very humorous and witty ...slightly crazy, Fawn was a lot like that and was quite loud but very kind and was an amazing drawer, Jane was super great at drawing, too, and loved Vampire TV shows and make-up, Rose was very kind and was definitely the shortest and Miria was quiet but deadly (she is really strong but doesn't actually hurt people) and loved Doctor Who and Star Wars. They really didn't make me feel like an outsider and where really polite in that way, I felt very grateful for them to do that, as they where very generous, especially Madeline. We seemed to have the same interests but she was extremely polite and kind towards me and was always helping me with the things I didn't know about in our classes. I was really lucky to have her as (possibly) a new friend.

Throughout the day, I got to meet the other teachers, Mrs. Dole and Mr. Sorel. They where both really nice, although Mr. Sorel could have been a little more strict with some of the troublemakers. He was the teacher who probably was interested in my back round the most, so I had to make up a story on the spot. "Well, I was born in Belgium and then my dad got a job transfer to Canada when I was 5 and we moved to a French community on the side of Winnipeg and started school at a completely French school for about 3 years. My mom then decided she wanted me to go a French immersion school and then I came here for junior high." He seemed intrigued by my story and made my make up other side stories about Belgium.(thankfully I know some information on the topic)

The day went by quickly; the first day I had met Madeline, the most kind and generous human on the planet, and my other awesome future best friends who I would later on accidently drag into my crazy enigmas.