Chapter 14

It was the day of the towns Halloween parade, and we where all a buzz explaining the details of our costumes and the things we where excited to do with the kids and the rides we where going to set up for them.

Georgia was going to be a bloody zombie ( no surprise),
Milinda was going to be Obe Won Kenobi (for obvious reasons, if you watch Star Wars),
Rose was going to be a woman from the 1800 (she loves the huge dresses), Madison was going to be a really cool zombie (she's a superb artist and can make great effects)
Hazel was going to be a Percy Jackson character,
Jenna was going to be this winged human being,
and I was going to be a mad scientist.

We also discussed what we could do once they set up the rides for the older kids, and the only thing we where really  interested in where the hay rides in the haunted forest.
"Maybe I can join those people who jump out of nowhere and freak you guys out." Jenna said with a mischievous grin.
"Oh, you don't have to go with them to do that." Hazel joked.
"This is gonna be awesome." Madeline said.
"For sure." I agreed.
Sometimes I feel like being endorsed with my friends makes me forget all of the risks I'm taking every time I walk out the door...
                                  *

We where all walking to Brentford park where the parade was going to be set up.
We where going to change into our costumes when we got to the parade in the outhouses, and we where all giddy with the excitement of the one event that was actually worth excitement in St Anne's.
However, I was still shocked about the discovery of Hazels powers, and was frantically trying to get a hold of my mom by this secretive texting mechanism she created.
The fact that she had come home later than she ever had last night and wasn't responding to me now was enough to to make me worry.
What if King Lyonx's troops found a way to hijack all of her technology? (Even if she is a computer genius)

Or maybe the had encountered them yesterday and had prevented her from coming home -no, that can't be it, she would have told- "Are you okay, Ebony?" Madeline asked me, snapping me back to reality.
"Yeah, sorry. I was trying to text my mom." I said.
"Was she not answering?" Georgia asked.
"No, she isn't. She's always really into her work." I said. It wasn't a complete lie, but I knew she is always on top of her notifications.
I winked at Madeline and Hazel when no one else was watching, since they would understand about what my mom normally does at work.
But Madeline just looked cool perplexed.
Shoot.
I'd have to explain what I meant by it later.

I looked up and saw the huge park. The trees where dropping there collage of fall covered leaves into the ground and all the kiosks and trucks for the Halloween parade.
There where still some people setting up some of the games, some of which included caramel apple bobbing, throw the dart at the witch, boo bowling, a laser aiming game at zombies, witch hat ring toss, and a few rides and a Ferris wheel.
The parade car was being painted by little children in costumes and the horses and carriage was set up beside the trail that went through the forest and curved beside the river, the same path where I had encountered Lyonx's little followers.
We went over to the outhouses and 3 at a time we all got changed. Me and Rose where finished first. She was wearing a classic white pouffy dress with a corset, and I was wearing a lab coat and tie with an Einstein wig.
We laughed at how different our choices where.
Madeline followed, with a really elaborate zombie costume, then Milinda came out with her Obi Won Kenobi costume and said Star Wars lines gleefully.
Georgia came next with he bloody ghost costume, then Jenna with her Winged human costume and Hazel with her Percy Jackson costume.

We helped out at the Boo Bowling game, and then others, going in shifts.

Me, Milinda Georgia and Hazel where sitting on a bench having a break.
We where talking about scary effects when I saw the principal and vice principal spying on us intently from behind a Kiosk. The others most have seen them, too.
They looked away once we caught their gaze.
"Jeez, can't we get a break from school?" Hazel pointed out.
"Yeah, you'd think they would cease their administration duties out of school." I added in.
"It is weird, but it's possible that they just forget that where out of school." Milinda said logically.
The conversation wandered on after that, but I still thought it was weird how intent they where on us.
We had a good time at the games, and actually enjoyed playing the games, ourselves.
But the time finally came for the hay rides, as the pink and orange sunset escaped the horizon.
Jenna was especially excited about this.
"I can't wait to see the bloody people who pop out of the woods!" She said.
"But I still wish I was old enough to join them..."