Mars Kensington

Chapter 1.

Thirteen. For most people, it was an unlucky number. The stigma surrounding it came from way back, since the time of our ancestors. For example, monks believed that if there were thirteen full moons in a calendar year instead of twelve, something unfortunate would occur. Another instance was on October 13, a Friday, the famous or should we say legendary Knights Templar were arrested and killed.

And who could forget the stories about the last supper? There was Jesus, together with his twelve apostles. All in all, they were thirteen, with one being the betrayer. As you could see, thirteen was feared because of those reasons. It was just forgotten over time, but the stigma remained.

As for me, thirteen was significant too. It wasn't because I was met with bad luck on that day. Nobody arrested or betrayed me. It was simple really, but it changed my whole life. Because you see, I was thirteen when I realized I was lesbian. And nothing has been the same ever since.

"Mars, are you there child?"

Huh? I blinked a couple of times, trying to get my bearing back. "Forgive me father for I have sinned," I chanted automatically. "It has been exactly seven days ago since my last confession." The priest remained silent, probably waiting for me to explain. "I have failed to honor my parent's the whole week."

"In what way child?"

"I still refused to acknowledge that being gay is a sin. My parents said that I have dishonored our family because of it."

He sighed, as he always did whenever this was discussed. "I've told you time and again child. Being gay is not a sin. Lying in bed with the same gender as you is the sin, and so is fantasizing about it. There is a difference."

"Then I have committed a sin," I said, unwavering. "I have been thinking about such things since I was thirteen. I just turned eighteen, father. Five years is a long time to sin. There is no hope for me."

"There is always hope as long as you repent."

I snorted. "How many Hail Mary's should I do this time?"

"Mars," he said, exasperated. I didn't mean to frustrate the priest. He has been very kind to me, considering the circumstances.

"Sorry," I mumbled. And as an afterthought, "So am I off the hook?"

Another sigh from him. "Yes. Yes you are." Good. He said a quick prayer of absolution, followed by Amen at the end. I breathed a sigh of relief when he allowed me to go.

After stepping out of the church, I felt that I was finally free. I glanced at the sky. "I hope we're still friend's big guy." Why couldn't I be Catholic and gay? That was so unfair. Didn't I deserve to go to heaven too? My parents walked into my line of sight, halting my thoughts.

"Get in the car girl," my mother said. She went ahead without a glance back. Typical. With a subtle roll of my eyes, I followed her.

Girl. That was what they called me nowadays. Not by my name of Mars, but just that, girl. My parents, Bill and Beth were not always like this. They used to adore me. My mother would always boast about me to her friends. In the past, she was so proud that I got my long auburn hair and brown eyes from her. My father was the same. He would tell me that I got my stature from him, saying that I would be a world famous model because of it. They showered me with praises and love, even when I didn't deserve it. But then, thirteen happened.

On my thirteenth birthday, my parents finally allowed me to go to summer camp. It was my first time, and I was super excited. At first, things were pretty ordinary. My new found friends and I would swim at the lake, swap stories at midnight, and snuck out of the cabin to play pranks at the other campers. It was any thirteen year old's dream come true.