Chapter 26. Torn

Chapter 26.

If you valued something, you would protect it. The human brain was wired to think that way. Sooner or later the thoughts would become deeds. The deeds into success or failure. As the Academy has become my home for months, I felt the need to protect it from any threats. It was not my duty as a student. We could always let the Academy hold its own.

The need to protect it was born when I realized that if the Academy was to be destroyed by lunatics, so was my happiness. It was the only place that gave me shelter when I found none in the arms of my own parents. I have made friends here. It has given me freedom and the opportunity that no one in the outside world was willing to spare to people who were different. And because I was different, I belonged here. I wouldn't let anyone ruin that.

"So let me get this straight," Red said.

"Except you're not," Candice butted in.

Red didn't pay any attention to her and continued looking at me. "Let me clarify this," she said, rewording her sentence. "Miss Kensington, what you are saying is you saw a group of people who were dressed in robes. They killed someone, and spoke of an island and an Academy. Am I correct?"

I nodded vigorously. "Yeah. Except technically they didn't kill the woman in front of us. The head—" I licked my lips, thinking of the gruesome picture. "The head was already separated from the body when we saw it." A shiver ran down my spine. If there was something I'd like to forget fast, it would be that. "If I remember right, the group also referred to themselves as the Druids. Long live the Druids. That's what the leader said."

Red stared thoughtfully into space. She nodded absentmindedly. "And how many were they?"

"Pretty sure about fifty."

She frowned. "Why didn't you tell this to Dean J? I heard she came back."

The dragon lady? I didn't trust her. "Red," I said patiently. "Weren't you listening? I told you that the Druids planted a spy here. I can't tell anyone else aside from you guys. Besides, that Dean J looks very suspicious to me. I don't think it's a coincidence that she came back on the same day that the Druids were meeting on their lair."

"Why are you always hating Mars?" Candice said. "I saw that Dean J. She's a smoking hot MILF." Candice jumped on Red's bed.

Red pushed her back on the floor with a frown. "I told you we can meet in my room. But don't. Touch. The. Bed," she scolded. "I don't like other people contaminating my space. And MILF? What's that?" Candice crossed her arms and pouted at me, as if asking me to help her. I shrugged. We've been warned by Red. No touching the bed. That was why we were seated on the floor in Red's room while the latter was looking down on us from her mattress.

Seeing that I wouldn't help her get her way of conquering Red's bed, Candice sighed and explained. "MILF. You know, mom I'd like to friend." She chuckled to herself. "Except I don't know if Dean J is a mom."

"I heard that she was," Red said. "Her child died." Red spoke directly to me. "If there's a spy, it wouldn't be Dean J. She's a board member remember? Aside from the Headmaster, she's the one you can trust here. Sure, Dean J have been on a temporary leave of absence for a long time, but now she's back."

"How long is long exactly?" I asked.

"About 18 years ago," Candice said. "Heard it from the other students. They all knew her because she's from the board, not to mention one of the wealthiest people alive. Damn, all that money will go to waste if she doesn't have a son."

"Daughter," Red corrected. "She had a daughter."

"I still don't trust her." I hugged my legs. "Anyway, do you agree with my plan? We should start looking for the other hidden chambers. If what the ghostly girl said was true, there may be something in the chambers to help us. And besides, I think her death was connected to the Druids."