Chapter 35. Firey Ice

Born and raised in a city that rarely snowed except on the mountainside, I thought I was destined to kiss the warm wind and grow content on seeing trees that rarely changed colors apart from green and brown. With that kind of thinking, it was a pleasant surprise to find myself overly familiar with the white powder that coated the area where we were staying.

As I stared at the snowflakes that adorned the window where I was seated next to, not once did I long for the city I came from. Instead, I was left wondering where I was all my life, to be missing such a glorious sight. Some people recounted that snowy days were supposed to be cold and dark. But just because it was icy outside didn't mean that there was no fire burning inside.

"I love the snow," Candice said wistfully. Her voice took me away from the beautiful daydream. Tearing my eyes from the window, I glanced at her direction. My companions, including Dean J was looking at her too. Each of us chose a place to stay after eating breakfast. I claimed the chair next to the window so I could check the view.

Noticing that we were paying attention, Candice smiled and said, "It's a perfect cuddling opportunity." She moved to Red, the one she was nearest to, and wrapped her arms around the girl.

"I'm giving you enough time to remove your arms around me," Red said with a poker face. Candice sighed and dropped her hands. Blue and I exchanged meaningful glances.

I hated to be that kind of friend. The friend who would stare at another friend if they knew that one of their own was having an opportunity with their crush. Yet I couldn't stop myself from doing it now. After discovering that Red harbored feelings for Candice, I've been noticing their interactions more. While Red was obviously keeping it from surfacing, Candice didn't have a clue at all. Oh the perils of love.

"Why can't you like me back, baby?" Candice said in a lower voice, as if she was trying to impersonate a character from a movie she saw. "Why can't we just fall in love?" I've never seen Red more disgruntled beside her.

All eyes went to Blue as she jumped up from her chair. "It's a beautiful day isn't it?" she said as an attempt to save her best friend. Her smile was so fake that I cringed and covered my mouth. Red had a different reaction though. She looked grateful for the save, but now Blue had to continue the pretense, or Candice would start something again. "Why don't I all teach you how to program something?" Blue said.

"Barf," Lilith said sarcastically. "We're on vacation genius."

Blue crossed her arms. "What do you propose we do then? Any ideas?"

Lilith stared outside. Like me, she claimed a chair next to another window. "I don't know about you losers, but I'm off to go exploring. With J's permission of course." Her last statement made me suspicious. Lilith wasn't the type to ask for anybody's permission, may it be from the Dean or otherwise. She wasn't scared of the consequences. Lilith met my eyes this time. Somehow I got the message that she was going to sneak off somewhere to investigate. I answered with a shrug. This was the reason she came with us wasn't it?

Dean J didn't see anything wrong. She nodded her head and said, "Miss Loire is right. It's a beautiful day. It would be a waste to spend it inside the house." Lilith turned to the Dean and cocked her eyebrow. Not exactly her idea of sneaking off. "You should all play in the snow," Dean continued.

"Play?" Lilith blurted. "We're not children."

"Ahh. . . But adults play too," Candice said with a twinkle in her eyes. She frowned and turned to me when Lilith stormed out of the room. "What's her problem?" Candice asked.

"That's just Lilith," I said. "You'll be used to it." I tilted my chin to the direction of the front doors. "Shall we?" Candice nodded and hoisted herself up, pulling Red with her.