Advert part 4. Get a life

Chapter 4

I had many strange experiences. There was the time that Casper was mistaken as a fugitive in another country, not because he was tall, well spoken, opinionated, and carrying a wallet that had a suspicious amount of money, but because he was at the wrong place at the wrong time. For the sake of argument, maybe it was my fault that lead the authorities to think that way. Maybe I wanted to see how they'd react if I used reverse psychology on them. My parents weren't happy that they had to make some calls to clear things out. Casper in particular was fuming mad.

And who could forget that instance when I seduced the Sultan's son with promises of a good night even though he was engaged? There were threats of beheading after he was found leaving his chamber straight for the guest room. Yada, yada, yada. All's well that ends well, I say. We weren't banned from the country after things were sorted. He pursued his wedding after all. Hello Mateen! You owe me body shots and a tour. Alright, that wasn't necessary, but he could see this entry in the future.

I could read what's on your mind. The one whose eyes are on this story. How come so many things have happened to me? It was to my belief that adventure should be pursued, not wished for. In time, when adventure had become a friend, an ally, the wheels would turn. You would no longer need to chase after adventure. It would come for you. Maybe that was what happened to me, which brings us back to the story.

Among the many different strange experiences I had, this was probably the least unannounced. Me waking up on the floor, head leaning on a door, legs crossed. I was woken by someone tapping my shoulders saying, "Excuse me. Can you let me pass through?" I looked around in a state of confusion till she said again, "I'd really want to go home, except you're in the way." I realized that I was beyond the doorway, blocking her exit.

"Sorry," I said, rolling away. The woman didn't look behind, in a hurry to leave. I sat there for a minute or two, wondering where I was, recounting the events that happened prior to this. Did I hit my head? What was a girl to do in this situation except glance southwards to see if her clothes had been disturbed. Mine wasn't. My jeans was positioned correctly, zipper up, buttoned into place. I exhaled. Losing my virginity while passed out wasn't good. No siree. Even if Lulu would classify me as the biggest tease, everything about me was intact. Mayer would be proud. Who was Mayer again?

After the assessment, I pushed myself up with a grunt and looked behind me, to the place I have taken refuge. There were people, lots of them. Maybe someone from inside could tell me any information. Soft, relaxing music reached my ears soon as I opened the door. Bossa Nova. I inhaled, appreciating the smell of roasted beans and cream in the air. It was a full house for the modest sized cafe, though I recognized none of the customers.

"Hi," I said, once reaching the counter. The barista, a stooped old lady wearing a yellow apron and a flower crown, smiled at me. Come to think of it, everyone was wearing flower crowns. Did I somehow stumble into a party of some sort? "This may seem weird coming from a stranger," I continued, turning back to her. "Did you see anyone, uhh, suspicious in the vicinity? I woke up next to your door a while ago. I was wondering who brought me here."

The old woman fixed her gaze on me, crow's feet appearing. I stared right back. Finally, she shook her head. "Didn't see anyone, miss, except for the usual customers. You must be new to the neighborhood. Haven't come across your face before." Her concern grew when I nodded. She gestured to the only free chair on the corner. "I usually reserve that spot for Lynx, but since she's not here, you might as well take it. I'll bring you coffee in a few. On the house. You look like you need it."

"Thank you." I went to the unoccupied spot. Who this Lynx was, I didn't know. Where I was, I didn't know either. I did a quick scan of the coffee shop. It had yellow lights hanging above the tables, as with every other cafe. The furniture's were matching colors of brown, beige, and a pop of blue and orange here and there. On the walls were framed quotes, cliché ones relating to coffee like, 'I only need coffee in days ending with Y.' And there was a chalkboard near the counter announcing the drink for the day.