Chapter 62. Mischief

Anticipation was palpable in the room. Candice was tapping her foot on the marble floor, creating a steady rhythm. Blue was double checking her screen. Red was still, stone faced and ready, though her gaze would linger to Candice or Blue from time to time. Lilith had paced the entirety of Jupiter's living room before coming to a full stop beside me by the window. Outside, there was a never ending snow fall. It was nothing but an illusion so we wouldn't be looking at the void of the program.

"Are we ready to do this?" Candice asked. Her foot stopped tapping. "If things go wrong, we can kiss this school goodbye. My family is waiting for me out there, so I'm cool with it, but I can't bear to think what will happen to Mars."

"All the more reason why it should go as planned," Lilith said, turning her back to the window. "Or are you just using her as an excuse because you've chickened out?" Her eyebrows raised at Candice. "Tell us now because we don't need losers in our team."

Did Lilith just say the word our? I knew how much she hated working with others. Red looked pleased with the improvement too. It had almost taken a year for the changes to happen. Too bad it was at my mother's expense.

Candice crossed her arms. "Dude, my girlfriend is trying to strangle me every night with her stockings. Do you think I'm scared of being reprimanded by a bunch of scholarly people with white or grey hair? Think again." I didn't check to see what Red's reaction was. The secondhand embarrassment I was feeling for her was enough.

"Done," Blue declared, putting her screen away. She hasn't been following the conversation. She didn't pause to think that another bicker session was about to start. She simply stood and stomped her right foot once, testing if it was still working after not moving in her seat for half an hour. "Better," she said, relieved. "We can begin anytime."

"Not before we run the plan one last time," Red said, going into her commander mode. "Lilithia, if you please."

Lilith was glad to step into the plate. She had been the mastermind of the whole operation. Forgetting that she was supposed to be arguing with Candice, she said, "The Academy, like we've all agreed, is like the human body. There are certain defenses in place so outside forces won't get in." She grinned. "What's more interesting is its self-governing nature. It's intelligent. Say a VR program goes berserk. The technical team, composed of Red, Blue, and their nerd herd can kill it. But have you ever wondered what will happen if they can't?"

"Has that even occurred before?" I said.

Lilith shook her head. "Not that I've heard of," she answered. "And I've tried tampering with it before, but those two have always stopped me."

"Why do that thought?" Candice interrupted. "Why not just chill with the babes that like you? Being a rebel seems like hard work."

"Not if you've been doing it since you're a kid," Lilith said. "It comes naturally. And if those same girls annoy you to death, you'll want to be a rebel too. Anyway, if the faulty program can't be handled by the students, or if there's no authority figure present, the Academy itself will step in. It's like an infection in the body. When the wound is infected, the white blood cells go to it so they can destroy the bacteria or anything that caused the infection. Same with the Academy. It creates its own defender. It's literally going to destroy its virus in the flesh, not that anyone has actually seen it. But there are theories from the previous students."

"Our goal is not to destroy this place," Red clarified. "What we want is to create enough mayhem."

"And mischief," Lilith reminded.