Chapter 19. Strange

Chapter 19.

So far, I have learned three truths during my stay in the academy. One; some people, like the students here, were lucky to be born rich. And someone like me would have to work really hard to stand a chance. Two; the world was not what it always seemed. Some information were purposefully hidden from us. However, a fact would still be a fact even if we didn't know it. Speaking of facts, that would lead me to the third and most important truth so far.

Oftentimes we think of people as sheep or wolves, aka the good and bad. But it was more complicated than that. You see, some wolves possessed a good nature, while the sheep might not always be sweet and innocent. People shouldn't be classified into two groups only. For this reason, you should always be careful of who you trust. An honest wolf was always better than a wolf who was clothed in sheep skin. And that my friend, was the truth of the world.

Each step that took me closer to El's dorm made my heart race. I felt giddy with the thought of being with her. What I would do to those plump lips. What I would give to run my hands on her bare back. Nothing occupied my mind more than sharing body heat with her. Yet for all my excitement, my stomach was queasy too. Something was telling me that it wouldn't be right to enact what I had in mind. I wished someone would stop me.

On the third floor leading to the connecting dorms of the Traditional House, I felt another presence. My footsteps were light and quick as I made my way to the fourth floor and started on a long hallway. There was no one behind me as I glanced back. I relaxed. It was my imagination playing tricks on me. Blame it on reading too much and watching horror films with my sister.

Now where was El's room? She wasn't clear about which door was hers. Maybe I should send her a message to ask. I was about to do that when a crashing sound made me stop on my tracks. I looked behind again. This time Lilith was caught red handed pulling herself from the floor.

"What?" she asked, a twinge of red on her cheek as she straightened. "It was dark. I slipped."

I cocked an eyebrow. "Were you following me?"

"If you must know, this is the path leading to my room," she said adamantly. "If anything, I'd say you were following me."

"If you say so. Anyway, where's El's room?"

She looked suspiciously at me. "Why?"

"She asked me to go to her. We're going to hookup," I blurted. Why was I being so honest with Lilith?

She opened her mouth to speak but no sound came out. Lilith stared blankly at me before attempting to talk again. "Hookup as in study together? Because the monitor that the academy provided for you is more than enough to access almost all the information in the world. There's also a good library in one of the campuses. I just don't understand why you'd want to do it in my sister's room."

"Hookup, as in we'll do it. I think." That sounded so wrong. Why couldn't I stop myself? Must be one of the effects of the damn perfume. It was messing with my head. "If she wants to that is," I explained. "Or maybe we'll just fool around. It really depends on your sister."

"Are you stoned?" she asked.

"No, but I don't feel right." I gave a shaky laugh. It was a really strange conversation we were having. "Hey, what are you doing?! Stop manhandling me!" Lilith barely looked at me as she carried me over her shoulder.

"Shush Clark," she said. "You and I are going to talk."

"I can walk for myself."

"Shut up."