Chapter 16. Brewing Battle

Chapter 16.

Going back to the Academy after our business trip was a nice experience. Because I knew what was waiting for me in the island, it was less threatening and felt more like I was coming home. Jade and Candice welcomed me at the entrance. They waved excitedly as I passed the wall that would lead me to the grounds. I was alone when I came to them. Blue instructed me to go by myself because she needed to talk to the pilot first.

Jade hugged me tightly. I've missed her easy going nature which perfectly contradicted her wild hair. "Where have you been?" she asked. "You missed classes."

Candice moved to steal a kiss on my lips, which I deflected by side-stepping. She laughed like it was a game to her. "Shame on you Jade. Here you are telling Mars how she missed the classes, while all I wanted to tell her is how much I missed her."

They steered me to the forest that would lead to the Middle House. "You missed me?" I asked. "A little hard to believe."

She hooked her arm to mine. "Oh yes I did baby. You and that sexy body."

"If that's only what you see when you think of me, you're screwed." Jade couldn't contain her laughter with my remark. It was how Candice and I showed our friendship. We all knew that.

Candice snorted. "I was talking about your brain Mars. It's still a part of the body."

"Well played. On a serious note, I had to do an errand, which was the reason for my absence. What happened while I was gone?"

"Nothing interesting," Jade said. She stumbled on her feet but was quick to steady herself before she fell. "The competition was moved to a few days from now. It will give the participants a lot of time to prepare for the first challenge. It's a secret of course, but I heard some challengers know what's in store, or at least the arena. It's just a rumor though."

"It's not a rumor," Candice said. "Some of us really know the challenge. Want to find out what it is Mars? I'll do everything to help you."

Lilith's words on the ship came to mind. Her and her piercing grey eyes when she told me. I dismissed the thought quickly and focused on Candice. "What's the challenge then?"

"It's the test of love." She smirked. "Ours. Marry me already. I'm sick and tired of waiting for you." I elbowed her. Only she would think of silly things like this.

"What about Alya?" I chose my next words carefully. I wasn't keen on telling everyone that we ran away, only to be tracked down by her guards and beaten at an abandoned building. Blue and my sister were the ones who knew aside from me. It should be kept that way. "Have you seen her? I borrowed a novel last time and want to return it."

"You borrowed a book from the Academy's princess?" Candice asked. "Interesting," she said suspiciously. "Nobody is able to go near her. Even when Lilith was gone, she just didn't give that friendly vibe you know? And yet you were able to borrow a book." Candice stared hard at me. "This only means one thing." For some reason, I was nervous with what she was going to say. "She's a fan of you too." Candice attacked me in a bear hug. "You're so popular. I want to eat you."

"Get off me." I pushed her. "Get off." What the hell was she thinking?

"Oh come on," she said. "We were lonely when you didn't return immediately. I had to make do with Jade's company. And she changed your room again. It's now filled with shells and surfboards."

Jade wasn't the least bit guilty. "One word," she said. "Bahamas."

I stared impassively at them. Nothing unexpected with that. Jade found every excuse to change our room's layout. It was her thing, albeit a weird one. "You guys haven't answered my question though. Where's Alya?" I said.