Chapter 18. Prey

Chapter 18.

In a way, the VR for me was like reading a good book. Once inside, everything was fascinating. Time, space, and gravity were simply concepts. We could break through walls. See big, scary dragons. But like a great novel, everything would come to an end. Eventually the book would be closed, the pages forgotten. And returning to real life with all its problems was the only option. Because the first challenge for the VR was done, I too had to return to real life.

It was mid-afternoon when a note whizzed inside my room. It came from the small crack under the door. I was studying the small golden replica of the pyramid which I got from the first challenge, and the folded note that stopped inches from my boots caught my attention. On it were the words, "Meet me in the grounds west from the Middle House. Come alone." It was written in cursive. The handwriting was unfamiliar.

Since Jade was busy with something from the Chemistry lab, and I had nothing better to do than ponder on the replica, I decided to take the advice from the note. Tucking it inside my pocket, I headed to the forest. No other students were in sight when I went there. Most of them were in the dorms or hanging out with their friends. A group of people from the Knowledge House invited me to join them for a snack, but I refused in favor of resting.

I took a quick glance at the note again. Was it somebody's idea of a joke? There was nobody here. I sighed and crumpled it before shoving it in my jeans. Maybe it was Candice, meaning to play a prank on Jade again.

"You look really beautiful when you're thinking hard like that." I whipped my head to the right where El was casually leaning against a tree. She walked in confident strides to me. "You have this habit of chewing on your lower lip Mars. I like it."

"Is the note from you?"

"Yes. I had one of my many admirers send it to you." She put a hand on her waist. "And you don't like small talks do you?"

"I hate wasting time. Why did you ask to meet here anyway? You should have knocked on my door if you wanted to talk." I wrapped my coat snuggly around me. The weather was fairly cold, and the wind bit like small needles on my skin. We should have met inside the castle.

El smiled indulgently at me. Though she had many similarities with Lilith, at this angle, I could really see the difference. El's grey eyes and hair tone were a darker shade to her sister's. There was a distinction in their smiles too. Lilith's mouth would usually quirk at the corners as she tried to downplay her grin, whereas El's wide beam didn't quite reach her eyes.

"I like it when you stare like that too," she said. "It makes me feel like you want me." I lowered my gaze immediately. My mind wasn't made. There was no reason to give her the wrong idea. "Anyway Mars, I wanted to talk here because there are far too many distractions in the castle. If we're here we can be like two normal people who are finding their way in love."

"You're moving too fast," I said.

Her eyes twinkled. "Life is short. We're also at a marrying age. My sister and her fiancé got engaged when they were thirteen. You're eighteen. Just the right age to build a family." She stressed the word fiancé. Did she somehow know about me and Alya? Or did she think I had it bad for Lilith? There was no telling with El. "I'm also the oldest in my family," she said. "It's not uncommon for someone like me to think about the future early."

"And you think your future is with me?" I asked bluntly.

She paused. El was thinking carefully of her next words. "I'm a Hart. Every Hart gets what she wants no matter what. And right now I want you bad. Is it wrong of me to want that from you too?" Her stare was intense. She was a like a wolf ensnaring me, baiting me to do her wishes. I had to turn my back on her to think. She and I barely knew each other. What was she thinking? "Did you like the gift I gave?" she asked.