Chapter 45. Mission

Chapter45. Mission

Small as it was, I could make out the pointy edge of the scythe as I traced the outline of the necklace with my fingers. The room seemed to press on me the more I did it. The unseen eyes of the spectators in the corners bore on my skin. For a moment, I've forgotten about Lilith and Daniel's presence, until the man addressed me in the sort of cunning voice of someone who knew he had won though the contest has barely began. "I trust that you know who that necklace belongs to."

"Where is she?" I asked, hiding my dismay through a clear voice. People like him took pleasure in seeing someone squirm. I didn't want to give him that satisfaction.

Daniel replaced the hood over his head. "I prefer to show you. Take the Hart girl. I want her to stay where I can see her."

A cloaked figure pushed me from behind. "Move," she said.

Knowing that we were outnumbered, and it wasn't a good time to argue, Lilith and I went after Daniel. How he was able to see through the darkness was a big mystery to me. I could barely notice where my feet landed, much less the details of the room. Lilith breathed heavily on my left. I reached for her hand. She was ice cold. "It will be alright," I said, timing my words with the swinging of the wooden doors so Daniel wouldn't hear me.

We went down a spiral staircase. The air became colder and more stuffy with each floor we passed. I held on to the rusty railing, keeping count on my steps. Fifty-four steps later, which I guessed could be three floors in total, we finally stopped. Two hooded men stood to attention when they saw us. I was more interested on the door behind them. Dean J was inside. No doubt about it.

"Daniel," they greeted. They said his name with reverence, as one would when meeting the pope in the flesh.

"Give me the torch," Daniel said. The man closest to the torch on the wall took it hastily and scrambled on his feet to hand it to Daniel who grabbed it without so much as a thank you. "Open the door," he commanded, "And leave us."

"Your holiness, it is not safe," the torch giver said.

"Nothing is too dangerous as long as the Creator is by our side," Daniel replied. "If there is trouble, I will summon you and the others. Leave me be and tell the group not to make a sound so as not to disturb the peace. May the Creator guide you on your way up." Eager to please, the two men unlocked the door and retreated to the stairs. Daniel gestured for me to go inside the room.

"Tell me what's inside first," I said. Though my gut feel told me that I'd see Dean J on the other side, I could never be too careful. This was the last chance for Lilith and I to escape. We could overpower him if we wanted. Daniel appeared to sense what I was thinking. He went through the door first. Lilith nodded silently to me. There was something in her eyes that told me she would protect me no matter the outcome, and I trusted her.

I've seen enough horror movies in my life to know what went inside the four corners of the room. Dean was tied on the posts of the bed, her arms and legs spread wide. There was a book on the bedside table, and a small bottle that had an image of a cross printed on the side. "To exorcise the demons from her," Daniel explained.

"What kind of exorcism uses whips?" I said, referring to the weapon hooked on the chair beside the bed. Lilith and I rushed to the sleeping Dean. What madness took place here? "Wake up, J. It's me, Mars. Lilith is with me." She didn't so much a stir. I felt the need to regurgitate what little I have eaten on the airport. "She's not dead, is she?" I asked Daniel.

He glided to the chair, taking the torch with him. With the bubbling rage inside my chest, his toy would do little to protect him from me. "Don't blame me," he said, sitting. "She did that to herself."