Chapter 61. Au Revoir

Chapter61. Au Revoir

It wasn't the first time I'd be walking on the school grounds at night. Might not be the last either. It was, however, the only instance I could remember doing it while holding Lilith's hand. Hers was cold but secure. Mine was clammy and feverish. Neither of us were wearing school uniforms nor coats, but sweaters and sweatpants after she insisted that I changed to use one of hers. They smelled of rich leather though they were made with other materials. They smelled of her.

Walking inches ahead, I could make out the shapes of the trees swaying with the breeze with the help of my flashlight. The touch of the wind on my face was fresh. The ground underneath me was smooth pavement, until we went off path, changing them to grass and pebbles. I tightened my grip on Lilith's hand, relieved that she was going with me. I felt safe and sure of myself, like nothing, not the Druids nor Alya could hurt me.

A little more walking towards the beach and I felt resistance coming from behind. I turned around to Lilith to ask her what was wrong. She was looking at the dark sky, her hair as pale as the moonlight. "Do you want us to go back?" I said, studying her face. "I'd understand if that's your decision. Your opinion counts more to me than anyone right now. We can solve this mystery without her help."

Her lips formed into a thin line. "You should see her without me," she murmured. I didn't understand. Why did she say that? Was she mad at me? Lilith let go of my hand. Without it I felt cold and alone again. "It's hard for me to leave you alone with her, knowing that you had a past." Her eyes glimmered. "How easy it would be to leave this school with you. To take you to the Hart's ship because it's the only place I know where you'll be safe. And mine. . ." she trailed. "But someone will always try to steal you from me, Mars, whether I like it or not. I need to give you a chance to fight for us too. I trust that you'll do the right thing."

"Lilithia. . ."

She chuckled. "I hate that name, but with your mouth it sounds so sexy."

"Stop joking," I said.

"I'm one hundred percent serious. Believe me, my thoughts are bordering on murderous, to how I'm going to torture both of you if you screw this up." A look of uncertainty flashed on her face, and she took a deep breath. "Always choose me," she whispered. "Even if you're asked a thousand times, make me think that it's always going to be us in the end." She opened the flashlight she brought and pointed it to the trees. "Hurry before I change my mind." It was the push I needed to walk away. I didn't want to, but it was for her as much as me. She was testing my loyalty. I had to prove her right.

The glow from behind me that was coming from her flashlight bobbed up and down before it slowly drew away. I swallowed the need to run back to Lilith to promise her the world. There was no use for it. I'd rather show her.

I heard the waves crashing on rocks and lapping on the shore long before I saw it. The salty smell of the ocean was dominant in the air. I tucked the flashlight in my back pocket. There was no need for it anymore. My memory served as guidance, and seeing that I've walked this way hundreds of times before in a different lifetime, I allowed myself to be taken in, like grains of sand swept by the tide.

Alya's silhouette was soft and fragile near the shoreline. I gave myself enough time to gaze at her form, still and calm amidst the roaring sound. In any other circumstances, I'd be meeting her for different reasons. Life was one big puzzle, and we were only broken pieces that didn't know how to play the game, or who it was that manipulated it. My shoes dug on the sand as I continued to her, bracing myself to see her face. "You came," she said, even before I announced who I was.