Chapter 27.Gray Area

Chapter 27.

Days were always quicker when you were having fun. After agreeing on going with Blue to the year-end ball, I've managed to relax. The girls were still trying to bother me, especially El, but other than that, all was well in Mars Land. Even the Druids, spy, lamp competition, and other stuff I've previously stressed about were forgotten. It was at the back of my mind under lock and key. An area I didn't want to touch yet.

"So Blue huh?" Candice said as we walked on the hallway with Jade. "It should have been me Mars. Should have been me." She was disappointed as she shook her head. "I feel sorry for you. You're going to miss Taco Bell Tuesday." Candice stuck her tongue out and move it from side to side. Jade and I rolled our eyes simultaneously.

"I'm assuming that's one of your lesbian jokes." We stopped in front of my dorm room.

Candice placed her hand on her chest. "Oh my gosh Mars. Can you stop being gay for a second and think like a normal human being?" I slapped her shoulder. She burst into laughter. "Ha! Ha! Sorry, it's one of my goals in life to say that to someone, you know, gay like us." She barged into the room like she owned the place. Jade and I trudged behind her.

"Look Mars," Jade said when we were inside. "There's something on your bed." A large box the size of a pillow was placed on my mattress. I stared at it curiously. It was wrapped in shiny black paper, complete with a silver ribbon on top. It wasn't there before I left the room to have breakfast.

Candice reached it first. "Is it for me?" Jade pushed her aside before she could tore through the wrapper.

"It's for Mars, idiot. Don't touch it. Didn't you learn anything in high school? Manners perhaps?"

Candice tapped her chin. "Mmmm. I'm pretty sure I got A+ in most of my subjects. I was also the teacher's pet." She raised her eyebrows suggestively. "If you know what I mean."

"Hey, don't you guys have to prepare for tonight or something? It is the ball after all," I said.

Jade snapped to attention. "Damn girl, I almost forgot. Are you sure you're not coming with us?" she said to me. "I'll hire someone for you." I shook my head. Most of the students were taking the plane to get out of the Academy. Because they couldn't really bring their hairdressers and personal stylists here, they'd have to fly to a city of their choice in order to prepare. They should be back by tonight. "What about your clothes?" Jade asked.

"Is she even wearing one? Blue, you lucky son of a gun," Candice muttered under her breath. She elbowed me. "If I wasn't coming with Trish, I would love to go with you."

"Don't worry about me and just focus on preparing yourselves for tonight. I'll manage." I grabbed both of their arms before they could argue with me and guided them out of the door. "Off with both of you." I slammed the door shut, locking it for good measure. Candice's complaints were heard from the other side as she banged on it like a lunatic. It wasn't long before Jade and her footsteps echoed in the hallway.

I sighed when I was completely alone. They were asking me to go with them for days. It's not that I didn't want to. It would be too weird for me. I wasn't the type of girl to pick frilly dresses on designer shops or have stylists at my beck and call. I'd leave that to the insanely rich people, I thought as I went to the bed. If Blue was to be my date, she'd have to accept that I was a simpleton and nothing more. Though maybe having a nice dress right now would be convenient. I had nothing to wear.

Sitting on the bed, I glanced at box once more. As I took a closer look, I noticed that there were swirl patterns on the shiny wrapper. Who could it be from? I carried the large box and shook it, trying to figure out what it contained. No clue. I placed it carefully back on the bed. Only one way to find out. I tore through the wrapper. It was nice and all but I had better things to do than be careful with it.