Chapter 9. Practice

Chapter 9

Four days passed before Blue returned the pendant to me. The instructions that she gave for using it was pretty simple. All I had to do was command the pendant to contact Bernadette, and it would connect the call automatically for me. I would have to test the theory later tonight when everyone was asleep, including Jade.

My roomie has been very pushy for days. She kept pestering me to join the contest, to which I would reply that I wasn't sure yet. What was I waiting for? I guess talking to Bern would put me at ease and allow me to do what I needed to do. Until then, I had to shove the overwhelming feelings I've been having. About the lamp. About studying here. And about my heartbreak over Alya. Especially about her. I didn't want to think about her for now. It hurt too much.

My gaze went to Jade on the right side of the room. She slept soundly as a baby, cocooned under all her pillows and comforter. If I were to call my sister, now was the time. I took the pendant from my pocket. It looked as innocent as when Blue first gave it to me. Would it work?

"Contact Bernadette Kensington," I whispered in the dark, as I pulled the blanket over my head. A long silence. Maybe Blue was being wise with me. How could a pendant even call people? The thing vibrated, making me drop it to my side. It continued to do so until a screen appeared a few inches from my face. It was very much like the transparent one that we used around here.

Bernadette's face appeared. She blinked a couple of times till her eyes focused on me. "Oh my gosh Mars! Is that really you?"

"Shhhhhh. I'm not alone here. Lower your voice." Ever the reliable one, my sister followed my instruction. Oh darn. I've forgotten to think of a reason to why I haven't contacted her for weeks. Should I tell her that I was studying somewhere? I couldn't just admit about Lesbian Academy. There was the NDA to think of. "Listen Bern, I'm sorry about leaving you hanging. Things are complicated right now, but I want you to know that I'm safe."

"You're in L.A aren't you?"

"How did you know?" I couldn't keep the surprise from my voice.

She smirked. "This hot girl with blue hair told me. Says her name was Blue. She contacted me days ago to explain about your situation." Bern glanced giddily at me. "She gave me this cool watch to talk to you. I'm using it now."

"Oh." I thought we couldn't just tell people about the academy. Blue broke a rule for me. Sigh. Add that to my growing list of favor from her. I squeezed my pillow. "So. . . Are you alright? How's mom and dad? Tell me everything."

"Mom and dad are the same. Still loony as ever." She rolled her eyes. "But that's old news. How are you? Is the academy as cool as Blue said?"

My heart leaped. Bern sounded excited for me. "Yes it is. Did Blue tell you that I'm not allowed to tell this to other people?" She nodded. "That's why I haven't had the chance to talk to you until now. I'm really sorry."

"No problem sis." She leaned back. I could see that she was in her room, back in the house I left. It was a few weeks ago, yet it seemed like months, even years since it happened. "Did you find Ms. Hazel eyes by any chance?"

The heartache returned at the mention. It was a sharp sense of pain that would jab and grab at my chest whenever Alya was brought up. "I did find her."

"I'm sensing that you're going to follow that with a but. . ."

I inhaled deeply. "But she has someone now. Alya is engaged to a girl named Lilith." Bern's mouth opened. "It sucks sis. I've waited for her for so long. To make it worse, Lilith is not exactly the type of person I'd normally get along with."