Chapter 25. Reminder

Chapter 25.

It has begun to snow outside. I stopped in my tracks to stare at the white falling flakes. It touched my nose and my forehead, making me close my eyes. There was something about the snow. A memory. I frowned. It didn't often snow from where I came from, except in the mountains. How could I associate the snow with a memory when the city I was born in was known for being sunny? Strange.

"It's snowing," Alya said beside me.

"I know." I opened my eyes to look at her. "You shouldn't have followed me. We might be in danger."

"If you're in danger, then I'm in danger," she said with a pout. "Why did you stop running?"

The question made me remember the snow. I just had to ask her. "Hey, did it snow when we were at camp back then?" I glanced at the ground. It was slowly being painted with white. How beautiful. "I seem to recall something about the snow, but my brain is so foggy that I can't really understand."

"It was summer when we were at camp," she reminded. "But I heard that-" Alya ceased talking.

"What?"

She pursed her lips. "Nothing. Anyway, we're supposed to follow Anael and Lilith right? What are we waiting for?"

I snapped back to the present. Lilith and El. We should run after them. "Sorry," I mumbled. "Let's go."

We moved around, searching for where El has gone when I found footprints on the snow. They were fresh and was about the same size as the shoes she has been wearing. Alya and I followed the tracks until we arrived to another warehouse not far from where we came from. It was dark outside. Could there be people inside or was Lilith having a hallucination?

Alya tapped my shoulder. "I think El went around," she whispered, indicating on the corner of the warehouse. "The shoeprints lead there."

"Okay. Stay behind me."

"Wait."

"What?" I gave her a questioning look.

"If something bad has already happened to them, we should leave and call for help. We shouldn't be rash about this. Remember Mars, we're not in the VR. This is real life. We can really die out here."

"Are you afraid of dying?" I asked. Fog came out of my mouth. It was getting chillier by the second. I tightened my coat around me.

"I have died once. I do not wish to do it again."

"You're saying you're a zombie?"

She rolled her eyes and forcefully made me pivot by turning my shoulders. "It's a metaphor silly. Just remember what I told you. Check the status, then call for help if we can." The two of us crept silently forward. We turned on the corner of the warehouse and continued following the footsteps. There was no one around. It was dark, silent, and creepy. The perfect setting for a horror movie.

"Look Alya. There's a window. The footsteps stops there." We peeked in. The place was barely illuminated by a single fluorescent bulb that looked like it hasn't been used for a while. It flickered on and off every few seconds.

"What do you see?" she whispered.

"There's an office inside. You see the desk and the chair?"

"Yes. Do you think the sisters went there?"

"Probably." I boosted myself up and crawled inside. It was just as chilly in the office as it was outside. "You need my help?" She didn't answer me and boosted herself up too. Her expression after she stood up regally told me that I shouldn't take her for a sissy girl. "You've made your point," I murmured. The lights flickered on and off. It was getting nauseating. "But I think they went to another room."