Chapter 34.Familiar

Chapter 34.

It was safe to say that I was sheltered. My parents weren't keen on letting me go out alone, especially after thirteen. The summer camp was a onetime thing, if not a miracle. Year after year, I would plead them to go with my high school friends at a theme park, or even a sleepover. But my parents were stubborn. It was off to school, home, and church with me.

Maybe saying goodbye to them wasn't so bad. Maybe it was a way to open my world. Though the Academy was located in an island, the possibilities have been endless. I would never have the chance to explore if I was still in the protection of my parents. I would never see the world like I was seeing now. And lastly, I would never have truly known what it meant to be loved, outside the boundaries of blood.

I sneaked a peek at Lilith. Her jaw was set as she carefully put one foot over the other. With her hands firmly gripping her backpack like that, and the wind fluttering her hair wildly, she looked more like an adventurer than a multibillionaire bad girl. Or was it a lone wolf in the snow? Sensing that someone was staring at her, she glanced at me and cocked an eyebrow. "What are you looking at Tarts?"

"Nothing," I said, watching the puff of white come out of my mouth.

"How long do we have to do this torture J?" Lilith asked the Dean boldly. After I told everyone that she has stumbled into the plane by accident, she was quickly welcomed by Dean J. Lilith being Lilith was more than happy to call the Dean by first name basis. Red made a disapproving face when she heard it. Candice was busy looking at the sights, while Blue had her eyes on me. I glanced at Blue quickly before turning away. She was smoldering.

"My house is located in the mountainous part," Dean J answered. "We have to hike two more hours to get there." I sighed. Since getting out of the airport three hours earlier, we've only taken one ride via cab. The rest of the traveling after that was done in foot. I stared around me. The breathtaking view of nature and the cool breeze of the mountain air mixed with snow was more than enough to relieve me from exhaustion. I inhaled deeply. Crisp, clean, and cold.

"I'm supposed to be in the Caribbean by now," Lilith complained. Though she was wearing black leather boots earlier, Blue had her borrow something warmer for the journey. They were the same size and height. As for me, Candice handed out snow boots and a bigger coat before we departed the plane. It seemed like they knew exactly where we were going while I was left in the dark.

"Stop whining," Blue said to Lilith. The Dean gave you a choice to take another plane to Los Angeles, but you refused. You don't have a right to complain now. You dug your grave."

"Maybe I was curious," Lilith retorted with a roll of her eyes.

"Or maybe you just want to get it on with Mars," Candice said.

Dean J took a sharp breath. The five of us glanced quickly in her direction. She looked like she was ready to snap at us anytime. "I apologize for them," Red said guiltily. "These children do not know what they're doing."

"Sorry Dean," we murmured collectively to support Red. I heard Candice saying, "Mommy as fudge," under her breath.

"That house you live in," I said to Dean. "Does anyone stay there apart from you?" The wind blew hard at the same moment I asked. All six of us tightened our coats and braced ourselves from the cold. Though there were trees around us, it did little to shelter us from the weather. I wasn't used to this kind of environment yet. The first time I felt the breeze after leaving the cab, I thought a knife has been driven through my flesh.

The wind eventually travelled to another area. Dean J was able to answer my pending question as we set out to walk again. "Two caretakers, a woman and his husband come to my house from time to time to replenish the stocks and clean. They live in the nearby town." The Dean arranged her hair, its color blending with the white background. "There's no one apart from the caretakers," she explained. "I live alone in that house with my books and art."