Chapter 50. Bond

Chapter50. Bond

Previously on Lesbian Academy as told in Candice POV

"The Headmaster trusts me and Red so much that she has given us special privileges," Blue said.

"To be a peeping Tom?" Candice said unabashedly.

"Don't thank me. Lilith suggested it."

Lilith's eyes flickered to me before she nodded solemnly. "It's the only way to blow off steam."

Present

It would take twenty, fifty years before the outside world could catch up with the VR technology of the island, maybe more. I haven't watched television in months, but before I went to the Academy, people from outside have been developing a form of VR in its early stages. Goggles, arm pads, trigger switches had to be used so they could flail their hands around. The real VR, if I could call it that, was nothing of the sort.

As my friends and I walked on the hallway of Jupiter's house, no headset were needed. I could clearly see where we were going, though I didn't know the destination. I touched the headless statue we passed. The cracks and crevices of the stone seemed pretty real to me. And the wind that fluttered on my nape was so authentic that I had to look back to see where the draft was coming from. Candice had her lips puckered. She was about to unleash another blow of air on me. "Can you please stop doing that?" I said, patting her cheek.

"I thought you wouldn't notice." She placed both arms behind her head and stared at Red, Blue, and Lilith who were walking further ahead. "They don't have any chill, do they? Herakles competition. Psssh."

"What is that anyway?" I would have asked earlier when Lilith mentioned it, but Red was so insistent on getting through with the activity that I decided to go along without further questions. They looked like they were about to bite each other's head off too. I didn't want to be caught in the middle of that. Not when Red was involved. Candice kicked an imaginary ball from the ground. She grinned at the back of Lilith's head, as if willing the ball to sail there. I scowled at her. "Answer my question."

"Sorry," she said. "Herakles competition is the Academy's sport."

"I thought the lamp challenge is our sport? Did I miss anything?"

"No it's not. That's just a bonus for people who want to have their wishes come true. There's so much to do here that we haven't scratched the surface. I mean, if this is a series, we're definitely on book one. You feel me? Anyway, back to our national sports. You don't see the players because they're doing it in VR. You must have missed the tryouts. They had it a month or two before classes started for this year."

"I did come in later than most," I said, remembering how I was rushed to the island by Red and Blue who suddenly appeared on the sidewalk. It was such a long time ago that it felt unreal. The irony of it knowing that I was, at present, walking in virtual reality. "Tell me more about the Herakles."

Candice paused by another statue. "We'll catch up to the others," she assured. I stopped to listen to her. "What do you know about Hercules?"

"Buff. Strong. Appeared in Greek and Roman mythologies under almost similar sounding names. Herakles spelled with a K or C for the Greek. Hercules for the Romans. Son of Zeus or Jupiter, depending on which mythology you like, but basically the same God with different names."

"Your brother," Candice said with a smile. "In Roman mythology, Mars is the son of Jupiter too."

"So many ironies in one day. Please continue."