4.

Walking into the old diner, so many memories flashed through my head. All nice. When it would rain, I would walk here from school with Sophia, Mason, and Lucy. We'd wait for Brandon's shift to end and then he'd drive us home. Or when it was really hot, his boss would give us free ice cream sundaes. I haven't visited since it happened. 

Niall and I sat across from each other in a small booth, awkwardness filling the air between us. I was waiting for him to start the conversation seeing as he was the one to bring me here, but he remained silent, his lips in a straight line while he played with his fingers. That's something I do when I get nervous. Wait, is Niall nervous? The thought made a small giggle escape my lips causing him to look up.

"What are you laughing at?" He raised his eyebrow at me. 

"Nothing." I shook my head. "Why did you bring me here, Niall?"

He simply shrugged. "I don't know honestly. I don't normally do this." 

I gave him a confused look, not knowing what he meant by 'this' but I decided not to say anything about it and remained silent. Soon enough a middle-aged woman took our order of milkshakes.

"So... I can't help but notice your accent. Where are you from?" I asked, breaking the silence. 

"Mullingar, Ireland." He answered. "I moved here when I was thirteen." 

"And this is your second year at Presidio?" I asked. Niall looked at me, the corners of his mouth turning into a smirk when he realizedI knew stuff about him already. "Yeah. Like it better than my old school. They had too many rules for me. Kind of glad I was expelled." He smirked. 

"I heard you were expelled... What happened?" I asked wanting to know more. 

Niall leaned his body closer towards me in amusement. "Have you been going around asking about me, Ava?" A cheeky smirk was plastered on his lips. 

I felt the heat on my cheeks rising as I became embarrassed. Of course I asked about him to Sophia, but I didn't want him to know that. That would just please his ego. 

"N-no. No. I uh-" I stumbled over my words, not knowing what to say as I avoided his eyes.

"Cute." Niall smirked at my flustered state, licking his lips before speaking again. "The boys and I were known for causing lots of different types of trouble at our old school. But the ultimate last strike was a fight some rich kids started. We beat them all to a pulp so we got expelled. Might've even gotten detained for a couple of days but that's nothing new." He smirked noticing the shocked expression on my face. I wasn't expecting him to have been expelled for violence. 

"But anyways, enough about me. All I know about you is that you used to live here and now you're back. I want to know more about you, Ava." He looked at me intensely. I gulped, his stare making me nervous. 

"Okay.. well, I was born and raised in San Francisco. Moved here with my parents for my mom's work when I was fourteen. My parents got a divorce when I was fifteen so my dad ended up moving back home. He never really liked it here and I missed him, so I went to live with him last year."  I gulped, giving him the generic story I gave everyone that I had practiced so well. He looked at me intensely, almost as if he were studying me. 

"Here are you milkshakes and fries, honeys." The waitress came back, placing my chocolate milkshake in front of me and Niall's vanilla shake in front of him. 

"Thank you." I shot her a smile before bringing the straw to my lips. 

"You know," Niall said as he reached for a fry, putting it into his mouth. "I can tell you aren't telling the complete truth." He raised an eyebrow at me. I choked on my drink, his words catching me by surprise. I coughed, trying to clear my throat. "What?"