~One~

I sat in my room, the only light seen was the glowing of my television, "Duck Hunt" displayed on the screen. This is all I really did anymore, visitors don't really bat an eye to me, when they walked into the room to see if they wanted to adopt me they just say me playing my NES. New visitors were coming today, I know because about twenty minutes ago the intercom announced it. I heard some muffled talking outside the door, I guess it's my turn to get evaluated. "Piper," Alex, one of the workers, called, "Do you want to speak to our visitors?" She asked. "I don't care.." I mumbled. She flipped the switch to turn on the lights and I hissed at the brightness and turned off my TV. I spun my chair around and two huge grown men stood before me.

The shorter one was wearing flannel, the other wore a white shirt under a see-through black sweater. "I'm Dan," The taller one said, "This is Phil." he gestured to the other boy. I stood up, I was way shorter, "I'm Piper, I've been here for eight years, any questions about me?" I made my introduction short and sweet. Dan looked to Phil, then back to me, "Yeah, just one, on a scale of 1-10, how bad do you want to be adopted?"

I pondered the question, "Most kids probably want it way more than me. I'm going to go with a solid 6." I replied then sat back in my beanbag chair. Phil looked to Dan, then his big blue globes stared into my hazel ones. "Well, onto the next child." Alex announced. I sighed, "Bye, hope you make the right decision." I told them and they smiled. Without warning, Phil pulled me into a tight hug, then followed Alex and Dan into the hall.

I stood stunned for a moment but then I walked into bathroom so I could get clean before dinner.

----------------------------

"All children please report to the cafeteria for dinner, all children please report to the cafeteria for dinner."

I pulled my bleach blonde hair into a ponytail, put on my fluffy blue slippers, and headed down for dinner. The sign next to the door read, "Chicken fried steak, green beans, mashed potatos." I groaned and walked into the cafeteria and headed to my table. I expected it to be empty, but the two guys from earlier were sitting there. "Dan? Phil?" I asked as I sat down. They smiled at me, "Hey, Piper." Phil said. Papers covered the whole table. Phil was signing all of them, "No offense, but you handwriting is kind of girly.." I mumbled. Dan stifled a giggled. Phil didn't look mad or annoyed or anything, just confused.

He signed a final paper and put them all into a stack. "Dan, hon, take these to Alex." He said with a smile. Dan nodded and took the papers towards the front desk. "So, Piper." Phil started, "How's your day been?" He asked. I was confused why he was asking, "Pretty good," I looked down and his wedding ring, "Who'd you adopt anyways?" I asked. He smiled, "Well, actually-"

The intercom cut him off.

"Piper go gather your things, you're being adopted."