Chapter Two *REVISED*

Chapter Two

Hazel's mouth dropped open as she stared down the last person she had expected to come to her for help.

She stared at him for a second. Despite his rather irrational words, Lionel sat on the edge of her sofa, probably scorning the thing, and gazed at her expectantly. She blinked, titling her head to the side, trying to understand what he was suggesting.

"So let me get this straight." She pushed back her hair, "You. Want me. To marry. This man's son? To save your business? Your ass? The ass that I watched walk away from me when I needed you?" Hazel questioned.

Lionel shifted in his seat. "Yes. I want you to come back. This... problem presented a great opportunity for us to reconcile, and even extend the family by adding another family worthy of standing next to my name."

Worthy of standing next to my name, Hazel thought. Of course it would be about him. She wasn't worthy, so he would effectively replace her with someone who was. She was just the joint needed to make the connection.

He offered her a smile she had grown up wondering about. It wasn't real– that much she could tell now. But it was the closest thing to a real one, that was not aimed at her mother, which she could ever remember witnessing.

"You know what? Drop the act. You didn't come here to beg for forgiveness like you should have. And God knows I can't and won't help you. Now please, Mr. George, get the hell out of my apartment."

Hazel turned abruptly, taking up the handbag she had abandoned on the kitchen island when her unwanted guest had knocked at the door. She looked back at his stunned face and raised her eyebrows questioningly, "Aren't you leaving?"

He stood, demanding in a firm tone, "We are not done here. Sit–."

Turning again, Hazel began her strut to the door, "Whatever. Wait here if you want, my answer won't change."

When she had reached the traitorous door, she gave it a begrudging kick and said her final words, "Close the door when you leave."

After Hazel finished her errands, she went back to her apartment, praying that Lionel had given up on his scheme. She wanted nothing to do with him, his failing business or his shady investor. When she pushed her door open and realized that her apartment was Lionel-free, Hazel breathed a sigh of relief. But as the day progressed, hours after Lionel George had appeared at her apartment, Hazel was feeling more like the bad guy than the victim.

His unexpected appearance, ridiculous proposal and news about financial hole he had somehow managed to dig himself into plagued her mind and subsequently her conscience. Since returning she had only managed to start sketching half of the final piece for the project she was doing.

The departing words Lionel had written down on the note he left with his contact information haunted her, "Your mother has gotten worse. She needs better medical help, please. I love my wife too much. Don't let me lose her."

Those words were probably the only sincere ones he had offered throughout their entire train-wreck of a meeting. Regardless, Hazel balled then strip of paper up in her fist and dunked it into the bin. He was still being a selfish snob.

He dared to speak about his happiness; what about her happiness? Didn't she deserve to 'love' someone too? To Hazel, it seemed ironic that her father would be begging for his wife yet telling her to marry someone she did not know. And had no intention of knowing, might she add.

Not that she was looking for love. Being practically broke, socially inept and having as much time in her life for romance as the amount of patience she had for Lionel George, getting married just wasn't on her agenda. The last thing she would want to do is jump into a relationship with some spoiled rich brat for her estranged family's sake.