Thirty Three

Thirty Three

Van had a small smile, or more likely a crinkled curve, on his lips as he looked on at Hazel who had her fingers running through the sparkling water. And dare he think, with a smile that positively brightened her face.

Van had to agree that Jamaica was a sight to see, beautiful scenery, rolling mountains and the most amazing food, but by far, Hazel out shined everything. She was simply mesmerizing.

She looked up at him, her eyes shining,"This is awesome. I can see the fish!"

He stood from his place on the other end of the boat, standing beside her with a cold beer in his hand. She scrunched her nose at it so he put it down. He peeked over her shoulder at the sea creatures swimming below. Hazel grabbed his hand, pulling it down alongside the boat so he could experience what she simply thought was miraculous.

And subsequently, pulling him closer to her neck that was exposed due to her kinky red hair being up in a high ponytail. Her breath caught at his warm breath on her skin, while he sniffed in her fresh fruit smell.

He swallowed, pulling back,"You're right... that is awesome."

"Dis is jus' an icing on di' cake." the tour guide said,"Neva' min' Negril, you t'o should go rafting."

Hazel perked up,"I read about that somewhere, it sounds enticing."

"Yes it is. Absolutely beautiful, ma'am."

Van nodded,"Maybe we could go... but not this week."

Hazel looked up at him,"Are you... afraid?"

Her eyes dashed back to the beer he had been drinking,"You are, aren't you? Why did you suggest boating then?"

Van shrugged, casting a look at the edge of the boat while a furious red blush took over his cheeks,"I wanted you to relax."

Hazel nodded,"Thanks. How about we head back then? I'm kinda hungry."

An hour later, they were back on the beach, padding through the sand. Hazel walked slightly behind Van, doing her favorite past time since arriving; watching Van's glorious body. His hands were lean and muscular, the veins popping when he ran his hands through his hair. The breeze whipped at his shirt, making it stick to his back and showing her all the beautiful ridges.

She sighed, knowing that at some point he would get tired of trying to fix a broken toy he currently had his eyes on. Not showing too much of herself was the next best thing to living like a bitch around him; around everyone.

"Come on slow poke, lets have lunch at one of the restaurants in town."

Hazel nodded at his easy grin, walking alongside him. And as always, he practically towered over her 5ft 7". She stifled a smile at the taught of him being a giant. She wondered briefly if their baby would be as tall as her, or gigantic as him. That taught made her giggle softly.

When they got to the restaurant, Van made idle conversation about anything. The type of conversation where one simply couldn't remember how one got to the ridiculous questions one was answering. Mindless, fun conversation that she only recently started to have with China. A smile, as reluctant as it was, graced her face a few times.  Something Van felt proud of.

×forced×

Three days away from their due date to return to Jersey Van was feeling stressed. He had just confronted Mr. King, the manager of the hotel, and he had sang like the proverbial canary.

The man confessed that he had been bribed by someone from the Jersey branch to leak funds out of the company, and to cut back on some efficiency measures. He had began on both, thinking the man was there with orders from higher up, but thankfully stopped before the branch lost anything, when he realized that the man was playing him for a foul.

"I swear I did not know Mr. Steel. I was simply trying to follow orders." Mr. King pleaded.

Van got up from his seat in the man's chair, walking away to look out at the beach.

"I know you weren't in league with this. My wife and I were on the beach that day." and as an after thought, he muttered,"Sadly, I wasn't awake to see the person myself."

"His name is Foster, a Mr. Foster."

After that conversation, Van went up to the suite to wait for Hazel's return so that they could go for dinner. While waiting, he called back to Jersey to start an investigation into the matter.

Zash picked up on the second ring,"Is there trouble in paradise? Get it? You guys are in paradise, trouble in para-"

"Cut it out Zash, this isn't a social call. I need you to check up on something..."

He went on to explain everything to Zash, then as an after thought, he said,"Don't say anything to anyone. Not even my father. Hell, not even China-doll."

"Got it boss." Zash hung up.

Van turned around, getting a surprise. Hazel was sitting behind him on a sofa eyes level with the phone in his hand.

"I seriously doubt that China is a spy." she whispered softly.

"Crap! You scared me." he sighed, grinning,"How long have you been sitting there?"

"How long have you been on the phone? " amusement flickered in her hazel eyes.

Van growled,"Sorry. I guess I got caught up."

Hazel nodded,"It's okay..." she seemed uncertain of her next words,"A woman saw me today... she said that the baby is a girl and that I should always wear this for protection."

Hazel held up a necklace, obviously pondering seriously on the matter. Van took the beaded necklace for a few seconds, taking in its plain design and multiple colours,"And you believe her?"

Hazel shrugged,"I don't know. But the sentiment of protection doesn't hurt."

Van pouted playfully, putting it around her neck,"So don't I protect you?"

Hazel giggled at his words,"No. I'm starving."

Van shrugged, rocking on his heels,"Aren't you always?"

'''''''''''''''''''''