Thirty Four

Thirty Four

The plane ride back to Jersey was relatively peaceful. Van yearned to be back in his office to find out who was scamming the company. But on the other hand, he was positive that he and Hazel had made some head way into at least being friends and not strangers living together.

Over the last two weeks, he had learned much about her. For instance, she couldn't stand horror movies like she once did. She was definitely a junk food types of person but would kill for vegetables. She was a contrast that he was dying to figure out.

Hazel leaned back in the seat, looking at the vast ocean beneath the plane. The blue somehow reminded her of Van's shivering blue eyes. That thought sacred her. Surely, in saving herself, she shouldn't allow him to penetrate her heart. But he had. He had began to. And Hazel feared that he had already, unknowingly, made a home for himself there.

"Zash said that China is dying to see you." Van commented, looking at her with those eyes that would be her undoing.

Hazel nodded, looking away. However, Van had other plans. He touched her chin with his index and middle finger, turning her head to look her in the eyes.

"And I'm sure your mother must be dying to see you. You haven't visited her."

Hazel scuffed,"Yeah right. That woman doesn't do anything unless he tells her to."

Van's eyes narrowed,"You... don't maintain a relationship with your mother?"

Hazel shrugged, looking away from him,"No."

The feel of his fingers lingered even as he lowered his hand,"As I said, she doesn't do anything unless he tells her to... a relationship with her errant, wayward daughter, The artist, isn't something he wants."

Van nodded,"Oh...well, maybe you could try-"

"No thanks." she spat, her mood dropping to a polar level.

Van swallowed, maybe hoping to swallow some of the tension,"Okay. I won't bother you with it."

Hazel turned to look at Van, several minutes later,"Sorry. I just don't like talking about them."

Van nodded,"I know. My mother was the same way. She and dad got hitched in Las Vegas. I think the main reason they did it was to get back at their parents. My dad eventually made it up with his old man but my mom's problems with her folks was waay deeper than that. After they got a divorce, her parents tried to control her, and my dad tried too. But she was her own woman. Eventually dad gave up and tried keeping her out of my life. That didn't work either. Then dad remarried and I got more time for me and my crazy mother. She hated it when I brought up her parents."

Hazel stared at him intently, surprised he shared something he obviously held dear to him with her.

"So what about your step mom?"

"She was great. I called her mom too. So I had two moms. There was my crazy, spur of the moment mom for fun and games. Then there was my laid back and strict mom for all the motherly things like cooking, tucking me into bed and grounding me when Dan and I got into trouble."

"Oh." Hazel looked down at his big hands, memorizing every curve of it. She had realized that she spent a good amount of time staring at  his hands. She prayed she wasn't developing a hand fetish.

×forced×

They spent two hours unpacking  everything that they bought and carried, then Van ordered a pizza, while Hazel made green tea.

While the kettle was heating, she ran to the room to change into a thank top and cut shorts. Her hair went up in a frizzy ponytail and the scant amount of make up was wiped off. When she went back into the sitting room, Van was shirtlessly sharing pizza onto plates and setting them beside cups of tea.

Hazel sat beside him, feeling uncomfortable that he was again shirtless and sitting so close to her. He smiled then took a bite out of the pizza, tempting her to do the same.

Slowly, Hazel lifted it to her lips,taking a tentative bite which resulted in the warm sauce running down her chin.

Blushing scarlet, she attempted to wipe it away but was beat to the task by Van's hands which was soon replaced by his warm lips.

An involuntary shiver went through her as she sat frozen, waiting with a bated breath for his next move. Van pulled back slowly, careful not to let their lips touch even though they were close, and smiled ruefully at Hazel's expression of awe.

"That was dirty work, Mrs. Steel,I had to do it."

Hazel stared at him, her lips softly parted, as if inviting him to complete what he'd started. Her eyes were wide and Van saw a hint of lust within them.

"But dirty work must be done, Haze."

He leaned in, slowly, like a predator after its dying prey, teasing her with his hand resting on her knee, baiting her with the delicious promise of something wicked -something dirty.

His lips were merely a breath away when the front door burst open and Zash froze in the threshold. His eyes widen and he covered his them childishly while Hazel, furious at herself, hopped of her perch and sprinted for the spare bedroom.

"Fu- God! Couldn't you bulldoze in at some other time?! Gosh!"

Van yanked at his hair, about ready to throttle his best friend. His eyes zeroed in on Zash murderously,"This better be good Steinfield, or I'm going to chuck you out the window."

"I swear it is! Scout's honour. And when I'm finish, you'll want to chuck out Foster, not me." Zash scowled bitterly, walking towards Van's study, any playfulness forgotten.

''''''''''''''''''''