Forty One

~~DISCLAIMER~~Due to comments with concerns for a section of this chapter, I added this disclaimer to make readers aware of the intent of that section. The section about 'Indian traditions' is not to inform anyone of the norms of the culture but to show an insight into Violet's thoughts. It was to show that she is a shallow person who is basically ignorant of anything outside of her own life and thoughts, and to show that she'd think or wish for anything as long as she got what she wants. So again, that section of this chapter is an insight into Violet, not my personal thoughts on the matter, nor am I posing them as facts. To make it clear, I respect and love Indian traditions. I live in a diverse country and society that has a large mix of persons with varying ethnic backgrounds and a lot of them are Indians. Furthermore, I love culture in general. My biggest hobby and motivation is learning about cultures, languages and religions worldwide. I'd NEVER try in anyway to disrespect any race or culture.
With that said, enjoy the chapter.

Forty One

It wasn't long until a charade of police cars and ambulances came to a stop outside the warehouse where Van goth and Hazel laid unmoving alongside the dead. By their training, the police secured the area, making sure that the threat no longer existed. They located five bodies; three male, and two female. Three of said bodies were naught but corpses, while the other two were hanging in there.

The medics rushed over, tending immediately to the red head and the dark haired man.

"Gun shot wound to the shoulder, may have serious tissue damage. Pulse strong. Get ready to lift." The team leader shouted, helping to stem the flow of blood.

"Several burn wounds, a knife wound to the side, lower abdomen, major bruises and weak pulse. We need oxygen!"

A blur of activities later, the crime scene was crawling with cops, while the two ambulances zoomed out. Both patients could be considered critical. For Van, it was a matter of an hour tops, while Hazel had only minutes.

×forced×

At the hospital, Mr. and Mrs. George sat huddled in a corner, the latter crying. Violet sat anxious, and torn between hatred and instinctual family bonds. For one Hazel Tessa George would be out of her life -and maybe like in Indian tradition, Van would be hers-, whilst a part of her still remembered the times, many years before, when she actually liked Hazel.

Violet glanced around the waiting room, at Mr. Steel with his big frame hunched over in worry. If that was what Van would look like at that age, Violet could not contain her excitement for the doctor to come out, announce that Van was in recovery and that Hazel -sadly- hadn't made it. Smirking, she shook away that thought and looked at Van's friends. The girl, a pretty brunette, was crying hard, her eyes swollen. Violet could imagine her as her best friend who would hang onto every word Violet spoke. Winning her over would be easy; who liked boring old Hazel anyways. The man, clearly, would pose a problem. Handsome and hot as he was, he didn't like her flirtatious manner during the wedding. And she was sure that she could persuade Van...

Violet was so deep in thought that she didn't realize that two doctors came in the room. Everyone stood.

"I'm Dr. Simmons, I'm Mr. Steel's doctor." he paused to look at everyone,"He suffered some major blood lost and tissue damage but nothing serious. The wound wasn't deep what had him knocked out was the blood lost. We'll need to keep him for a few hours for observation."

"Oh thank God. And how's Hazel dear?" Mr. Steel asked.

"I am Dr. Mason. She is...ah. Mrs. Steel has several burn bruises that are troublesome for they may get infected. That however is not so much a threat. She was stabbed in her side-"

"Oh no! Oh no! Is the baby okay?!" China exclaimed, staring at the doctor with a forlorn look.

"She was pregnant?!"

Almost everyone in the waiting room yelled.

"I'm afraid... we couldn't do anything to save the baby. We're sorry."

Mrs. George crumbled into her husband's hands, whimpering. China fainted, Zash just barely able to keep himself upright.

"Hazel is still in critical condition. The next 48 hours will determine if she takes a turn for better or worst."

×forced×

Van fought the heavy weight of his eyelids, opening them slowly. He was met with the sight of his father and his friends.

"Van...Van." Mr. Steel breathed, grabbing his son's hand,"Van, my son."

"You're okay man." Zash grinned, standing on the other side of the bed.

"Where's Hazel!" Van cried, demanding an answer as he sat up quickly, regretting it instantly. He winced, hand going to where he had been shot. 

"Calm down. She's...she's okay. In operation."

Van sighed, then sat up again,"How's my baby? Did they have to do a C-section?"

The room went quiet. Violet, who was standing outside the door, silently fumed at how possessive he sounded of her brat. What the hell was so special about her anyway?

"Why is every one so quiet? I got her back. Tell me. Is she going to be able to carry our baby full term or is it safe for such an early C-section?"

"Van..." Zash said, looking away,"The baby died. The baby died."

Silence.

"Get out... GET OUT!"

No one sought to protest. They all welcomed the escape from what would surely be an explosive outcome. Van stared at the wall across from him, his hands folding in, eyes burning with unshed tears.

He sat up, throwing the chart pinned to his bed to the furthest wall. Every moment spent talking with Hazel about the baby -no matter how reluctant she was-, all the times when she was sleeping, curled up into his side with his hand wrapped protectively around her stomach. All those times he'd swore he'd keep her from future hurt. And now this. His flesh, his blood, was gone. Gone.

"Oh God." Van breathed, putting his head into his hands. He slid down into a laying position, crying like never thought he could.

×forced×

"Our bitch of a daughter ruined everything!" Lionel George practically yelled,"She has no morals. What if Van had died? And bringing her flighty pregnancy into this. Was she so poor she couldn't do a simple abortion before she ran back into our lives?"

"Oh Lionel..." Mrs. George whimpered into her dainty kerchief.

"I should have never let her back into our lives-"

"Hold your tongue." Mr. Steel stepped into the room, looking like death.

He came over to stand toe to toe with Lionel,"That girl came back to save your cowardly ass, Lionel, so don't act like she begged for your help. And as for the child, that was my grandchild. I reckon it would have been the first of many but now..."

Lionel stared at the man before him shocked,"W-wh-what?"

"Yes. It's no surprise, I see now, why that girl ran away. You two would have suffocated her; you with your rash judgements and your wife with her inability to think. Be glad I'm sorry for your youngest daughter -even though I see that she will be a chip off the old blocks."

He shook his head,"I'm disappointed, George."

'''''''''''''''''''''''''