Twenty Two

Twenty Two

Is the baby yours?

That question had been bouncing around his head since they got into the car but Hazel hadn't explained. As a matter a fact, the only sound in the car besides the car in self, the outside world and Van's own breathing, was the faint whisper of air going in and out of Hazel's body; that sound too was being controlled, as if she didn't even want to share that with him.

Van yanked his hair again, then looked over at his friend,"I don't know. She- hasn't said anything from the hospital to here. She-I don't ****ing know."

Another animalistic growl escaped him as he grabbed the bottle of whisky and added more to his coffee.

"Okay, working on the basis that she doesn't know anyone, just got back here and has been mostly confined to her room, we'll say that baby is yours. How do you feel about it?"

Van huffed,"Million dollar question." he shook his head,"It would be... Marvelous. Great, just dandy but Hazel is making life hell. She.. She knew. And yet..."

He stopped short, turning the coffee to his head.

"Okay. Maybe she was just scared. You can't tell what's going on in her brain. You guys aren't the ideal couple, she probably felt alone in this. Give it time."

Van's eyes raked his left hand,"Whose ****ing fault is it that we aren't the best couple. I ****ing tried."

Zash shrugged,"I don't give a shit. You guys need to work this out. Me and China will take the guestroom, even if she freaks out about sleeping in the same bed with me, and I'll be at your beck and call. And you, to your wife's beck and call."

Swallowing a lump, the size of Pluto, Van nodded, standing and walked to the bedroom. He opened the door, nodding at China who was sitting beside Hazel, stroking her fiery red hair. China whispered something to Hazel then stood.

When she exited the room, Van slowly made his way to the bed. He freed himself from his shirts then pulled on a shorts. By the time he was finished, Hazel was a mere bundle at the very corner of the bed. She was still wrapped in the towel.

Van slid into the bed beside her, slowly but effectively pulling her into his arms. He felt her go stiff. And for the first time since he had met her, the thought that she was forced into the marriage lingered.

,,,,,,,,,,,,