Thirty Five

Thirty Five

Van sat back in his leather chair, staring at the dark wood table, wondering if his course of action was right. Zash was still fuming over the fact that Foster had actually tried to weasel his way out of trouble. Soon enough though, China rang him up, telling him that she was staying late for an assignment for school.

Van pondered this,"Oh? You didn't tell me you and China-doll were living together."

Zash blushed,"You didn't tell me you and Hazelnut were getting cuddly."

Van shrugged,"We aren't, thanks to you."

They argued back and forth until they decided to treat the women to an evening out.
While Zash spoke with China, Van texted Hazel.

Van: going out for dinner with China and Zash?

Her reply came a recon after.

Haze: ok.

Van: Chinese, Thai or Italian?

Haze: anything

Van: do you have any more words or are u limited to one per text??? ◑_◑

Haze: lol yes... i do. I'm painting.

Van smiled at the phone, pleasantly surprised that she wasn't eating his head. He nodded at Zash so they set off to collect their respective women, then meet outside of an new restaurant.

China had her hair up in a bun,was wearing faded jeans and a black Linkin Park tee shirt. Hazel had found a way to restrain her hair in a slack bun at the back of her head. She was wearing a black crop top over her pink tank top and black jeans. Both girls grinned at each other, walking side by side into the restaurant.

"You got a tan!" China screeched.

"I look sun burnt." Hazel argued.

At that moment, Van realized just how lonely Hazel had been with no one in her life. She had never spoken about friends.

"Stop staring, creep." Hazel frowned at him, sliding into a booth as Van slid in beside her.

He grinned,"You bring out the worst in me, Haze. You're too beautiful."

He tucked a resilient lock of hair behind her ear, while she blushed,"Shut up."

Soon dinner was served and they began eating their respective orders while talking about random things. Soon, the topic of the scheming against the company topic came round but was squashed before desert arrived.

"So..." China murmured shyly, looking between every one.

"Yeah?" Zash asked.

"I got a letter from a pharmacy today.... I'm supposed to start next Monday."

Zash's eyes bulged,"That's great! Congrats babes."

"But that also means I can buy an apartment now and that was the deal. I move out when I can afford it."

The air turned thick. Hazel supplied, "China, reconsider. You guys have harmony living together... don't."

Zash sulked,"I'm so not talking to you."

Hazel giggled at Zash's behavior, knowing too well that he acted like a kid sometimes, it never seized to amaze her. Van looked down at Hazel, glad she was having fun. He felt a smile of his own sneak up on him,"Haze is right, China-doll."

China shot Van a glare at the nickname then huffed,"Like he'd let me leave..."

×forced×

Hazel was hovering somewhere between sleep and watching Van get ready for bed. Her eyes were definitely closed, yet propped open, and she was sure he thought she was sleeping. Like the nights they spent in Jamaica, he got into bed after her, then pulled her into a spooning position, placing a kiss on her heated neck, then promptly going to sleep.

She laid that way for many hours, thinking about how good she felt and how hard it was to keep him at arm's length. After all, the man was infuriatingly sexy, hard headed, too sweet for his own good and definitely her undoing. Hazel felt the ice around her heart melting each day with him. And just then, the remnants of the ice wall crumbled while she snuggled deep into his chest, sniffing in his joyous scent. For the first in five years, she had found someone who she could call home.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''