Forty Five

"If love's a fight, then I shall die, with my heart on the trigger... you are all that I adore, if love is what you need, an angel I will be." -Angel with a Shotgun .

Forty Five

"So you see, it's all my fault." She pushed him away, staring intently at the window,"I'm like Pandora's jar; the source of all misery."

"So what?" Van found himself wanting to say. However he remained in a stunned silence. His head was spinning with everything that happened, he could feel his heart speeding up. Fight or flight.

He wanted to run, to clear his head but he knew better. Hazel would take that as him giving up. She would close off completely. He had to stay, and fight for the only woman that ever made him frustrated and happy and protective all at once. Van was determined to fight for his love.

"I don't care. You suffered, you didn't want what happened. It is no one's fault except that sick bastard. He did this to us. And I made sure he paid. With his life."

Silence.

Neither one of them spoke. Hazel felt heavy. As if lead was settling in her stomach. She let out a ragged breath, determined to remain empty. She'd opened her heart and had gotten it ripped from her one too many times.

"I'm sorry. I truly am." she said softly.

And with that, she turned her back to him.

Van

When I woke up, it was dark in the room. There was an unsettling feeling within me, as if my heart and lungs were fighting to come up my throat. Pushing that aside, I stood, turning on the lights next to Hazel's bed.

It took awhile for my eyes to adjust, and when they did, I prayed that I was dreaming. The bed was empty.

Panic. The only word that could describe the hour of searching after discovering that Hazel ran away. There was no note, no hidden message, nothing.

I'd called Zash and China and they'd arrived within minutes. There were no words. I felt blank. Empty... She..

"She left me." I mumbled.

My hands shook, my heart was beating like a steady drum- swift. Too swift.

"My heart left me."

I passed out.

Forced